Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Built a strobist-style macro studio tonight
Posted By: hinckc, 08-23-2007, 09:50 PM

Hi everyone!

I've been meaning to do this for a while, but was motivated enough tonight to make it happen.

I followed the instructions over at the Strobist for the DIY lightbox/macro studio.

The only difference is that I made mine with a 20x20x24 box. Add 2 $9 dollar desk lamps and a cloudy-sky-colored posterboard from Staples, and I was busy looking for little things to shoot in my house. Fortunately, I had gotten my girlfriend a rose last weekend, and it was starting to get tired enought to have some character!

Here are the results:

and the same with less DOF:

#1 was shot with my FA50, the rest are my Tamron 90DiII macro.

There are slightly larger ones over here, if you want to look closer.

Now maybe I won't be so frustrated when the weather isn't cooperating, like it hasn't been all week!

-Chris
Views: 1,756
08-24-2007, 02:24 AM   #2
Inactive Account

last one is n-i-c-e!
08-24-2007, 05:08 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Very nice! I vote for the last one too...
08-24-2007, 06:57 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks, scott-devon, and pixelpruner!!!

That wasn't my favorite at all last night, but the more I look at all of them, I think it's my favorite, too!

It was nice to have everything else constant (lighting, tripod'ed camera, idle subject) to give me time to play with aperture. I think maybe my box is sort of big for a lot of subjects. I think I'm going to make another smaller box in the same design for even smaller subjects. Now that I have all the supplies, it shouldn't be too much more work.

-Chris