Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
fly
Lens: 100WR Camera: k7 Photo Location: garbage can lid in my garage ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/90s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: dgaies, 08-14-2010, 06:09 PM

Saw a giant fly on my garbage can, figured I'd try a quick shot with the 100WR.

Didn't have much time as my wife and two kids were already in the car waiting to go to dinner, but I thought it came out decent considering it was handheld in pretty low light using AF.

Views: 2,056
08-14-2010, 06:15 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow- amazing detail!!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-14-2010, 06:21 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

fantastic color and detail of it's head.....dave m
08-14-2010, 06:32 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Wow- amazing detail!!
QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
fantastic color and detail of it's head.....dave m
Thanks! I've been pretty impressed with the colors from the 100WR overall. The auto-focus worked pretty well too as the head was at the center AF point.

Just out of curiosity, do you guys think stopping the aperture down a little more (to f/11 or f/16) would have got significantly more of the fly in focus (like the legs)? Not that I had enough light to really do that, but i could have boosted to iso1600/3200 and maybe dropped the shunter speed to 1/60s. Just curious.

08-15-2010, 06:20 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
Just out of curiosity, do you guys think stopping the aperture down a little more (to f/11 or f/16) would have got significantly more of the fly in focus (like the legs)? Not that I had enough light to really do that, but i could have boosted to iso1600/3200 and maybe dropped the shunter speed to 1/60s. Just curious.
This is an excellent shot - great job!
I don't think that f11 or f16 would give you enough DOF to have the legs fully in focus.
08-15-2010, 06:50 AM   #6

I love the reflections and the contrast. Well done.
08-15-2010, 07:10 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by volley Quote
This is an excellent shot - great job!
I don't think that f11 or f16 would give you enough DOF to have the legs fully in focus.
QuoteOriginally posted by Yaro Quote
I love the reflections and the contrast. Well done.
Thanks you

And you're right, stopping down one or two more stops wasn't going to get the entire fly in focus so I think it worked out fine like this.

08-15-2010, 12:17 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Have to agree with others that this is an amazing shot!

The only way you could have improved the DoF is if you image stacked in PP. Not sure if you're familiar with it, but it's similar to HDR where you layer an image - however rather than exposure bracketing, you bracket focal lengths - one shot of the front, middle and back. Then you blend the layers in PP. I've seen some great results with this method, but you'd have to be quick!

Again 10/10. I personally prefer the shot as is, the bokeh is just right.
08-16-2010, 10:01 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stillshunter Quote
Have to agree with others that this is an amazing shot!

The only way you could have improved the DoF is if you image stacked in PP. Not sure if you're familiar with it, but it's similar to HDR where you layer an image - however rather than exposure bracketing, you bracket focal lengths - one shot of the front, middle and back. Then you blend the layers in PP. I've seen some great results with this method, but you'd have to be quick!

Again 10/10. I personally prefer the shot as is, the bokeh is just right.
I've seen some examples of stacking images for get more DOF, which looks pretty cool, but in this case I was just fooling around to see if I could get a quick shot in. I also imagine it's a little easier to stack photos of a static object vs an insect. It's also easier when you don't have three people sitting in a hot car waiting to go to dinner while you grab your camera to take a picture of a fly

So did the FA50/1.4 arrive today?
08-16-2010, 12:33 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Agreed the focal stacks would be easier with a stationary object but the nicest I've seen are Thomas Shahan's ...not bad for "just" a Pentax reversed 50 .

Last edited by stillshunter; 08-16-2010 at 01:02 PM.
08-19-2010, 04:07 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Wonderfully sharp, and really nice peaceful background!