Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
New Macro Shots
Lens: SMC Pentax A 50mm 1.4 Camera: K-x Photo Location: Louisiana ISO: 200 
Posted By: Paleo Pete, 08-18-2010, 07:57 AM

Just one for now, probably more later after I do some more editing. I took the objective lens off a pair of junk binoculars, cut the threads off, cleaned it up and put it in front of the 50mm. The rubber housing on the binocular lens wiggles right onto the 50mm so it stays put well and no scratches, and it gets some nice shots...like this one.

Katydid nymph sitting on a leaf. 200 ISO, f4, 1/1000.

Click on the picture to see larger size

Last edited by Paleo Pete; 08-18-2010 at 07:58 AM. Reason: The typo monster strikes again
Views: 1,931
08-18-2010, 08:00 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow- great detail, especially for a MF lens!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-18-2010, 03:53 PM   #3

Awesome. Especially considering the home made set up that was used, love it.
08-18-2010, 07:51 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks a lot, I had a good time getting these, will be trying for more later.

08-19-2010, 05:53 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here are a couple more, taken with he same setup. SMC Pentax A 50mm 1.4 and 10x50 binocular lens. I might have more but none uploaded yet, and probably need to pare the Flickr account down some before uploading any more too, it's getting close to their limit for free accounts...

EDIT: A comment I forgot...

QuoteQuote:
Wow- great detail, especially for a MF lens!
I love shooting manual, and have started running the camera in full manual mode all the time too. The only auto lens I have is the kit lens that came with it, which never did impress me much, so my old manual lenses from the 35mm days are what I use. But this lens in particular has always really impressed me, my other 50mm lenses can't touch it. (two 1.2, a 1.7 and another 1.4, all Pentax or Pentax M). So I try to get the best focus I can and hope for the best, and for close ups, this is my "go to" lens... Now and then one really stands out, like this one or the lizard I posted in the A series club thread.

This one is a tiny bee about 1/4 inch long, maybe 5/16 at most. Never even noticed these until I got into trying to capture the flower he's on.

Zed, we got a bug...

hey that should be a thread title for this shot...I wanted the head in focus, but never got it, this was the only keeper I got before he bailed.

Click on each picture to view larger size

Last edited by Paleo Pete; 08-19-2010 at 05:59 AM.
08-19-2010, 11:50 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great shots, Pete, particularly with that set-up. I'd love to see a photo of the binocular lens rigged to your camera...
08-19-2010, 11:57 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Im with tamia, show us your setup
08-19-2010, 05:07 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
OK I'll do that, just took a pic with my Samsung P&S, only way I have of getting a shot of the Pentax. Will have to edit and upload it later and will post here in a day or two.

08-22-2010, 04:22 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
OK here it is, sorry it took a while, forgot to upload the picture and had trouble getting online, finally here though.

Camera with objective lens from 10x50 Tasco binoculars, taken with my Samsung p&s

And a tiny flower I shot with it today. This flower can hide behind a match head, it's about 1/8 inch across. f4 I think, ISO 200.

This is a pretty good working setup. soon as I get a chance I'll go to a friend's machine shop and trim it some, (I'm a machinist) the barrel gets in the way and leaves a black circle on about 20% of the picture, this was cropped at 1024x768 from the middle, I had to push the contrast about 25% and that's the only editing. Light changed and it got a bit washed out.

Focusing is touchy, any tiny movement and it's out of focus, and depth of field is gone bye bye. I shot this from about 4 inches away. I find it works best to set the lens at its closest focus, and move the camera to get a good shot rather than trying to use the focus ring. The focus ring does work well too though. I might try a monopod, movement is a big issue...
08-22-2010, 04:26 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for posting your rig, Pete. That's a very clever set-up. I have an out of caliber pair of binocs which I should try to exploit this way. I guess it was a still day when snapping the flower picture, eh?
08-22-2010, 05:02 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
No, actually it was a little breezy, I just waited for a short calm in the breeze. Later on it got windy, now it's raining...

Glad you like the rig, I hope you try it out, it works well. if your binocs won't fit, it still works just holding it next to the lens, focus at closest point and lean in or out to focus.
08-23-2010, 04:54 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Went out for a while this morning and got a few more, same rig. 50mm Pentax A 1.4, binocular lens.

Tiny bee, just over 1/4 inch long. Posted a shot earlier of one just like it, this tiime I got some better shots.

Same bee

Went back and put a pencil beside a flower just like it with no petals, to give you an idea of the size, didn't get good focus, but didn't know that till later and it still gives you a good perspective. Sorry about the bad shot...the bee was actually on this one for a bit then moved to the other one. The flower above is the size of a nickel.

Didn't link it to the bigger shot, it shouldn't be needed. Others are linked to larger pictures. These are 1024x768 crops from the originals, pushed the contrast about 25%, no other editing. I've got to figure out why the camera started getting washed out shots when I went to full manual mode...must be a setting somewhere I missed.