Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Baby Mockingbird
Lens: Sears 80-200 f4 Camera: K-x Photo Location: Louisiana ISO: 200 
Posted By: Paleo Pete, 08-19-2010, 05:34 PM

I was barely still in Louisiana, headed for south Arkansas, when I stopped to avoid the dreaded dead zone and talk to my sister on the cell phone. Looked out the window and there was a mockingbird I had heard chirping, then spotted junior walking behind the jeep...My first thought? CAMERA....so I hung up and got out. Here are some shots of junior learning to hunt.

Of course the little one was squawking the whole time, Look mom, I'm doing it...now feed me...

I printed a 8x10 of the next one this evening, I'm starting to have some shots printed to get an idea how the turn out, what sizes etc. This was cropped to 2048x1536 then resized to 1024x768, the print was cropped at 3072x2048 and turned out nice. Now I have to decide what to print next...out of 875 keepers so far...

Overall, I'm liking the Sears 80-200 pretty well so far, I've taken around 100 shots with it, several have been keepers. These were taken really close, less than 15 feet away at full zoom, f4 and f5.6. The only editing was cropping/resizing, and I had to push the contrast about 20-25%, that's it.

Click on each picture to view larger size.
Views: 2,005
08-19-2010, 06:07 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I really like what you've done where with the composition and the colors, but can't help noticing the large amounts of CA in the background. I wonder if anything can be done to reduce it? Maybe do a slight de-saturation of greens around the rocks?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-19-2010, 06:44 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Very nice series. I've never seen one of these before.

Had a Harper Lee flashback for a moment.

Tom G
08-19-2010, 06:49 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I like the pictures and agree on the CA.

08-20-2010, 05:26 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

love the attitude of this little guy pete.... the ca's other mention are due to the lens... (older model)... if you crop out some of the background... it would bring this audacious one in closer focus and eliminate some of the distracting background... great work with this lens... dave m
08-20-2010, 09:54 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
OK thanks for the compliments, but would someone mind telling me what CA is??? Not all of us know what these acronyms mean, which is why I rarely use them.
08-20-2010, 10:23 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Paleo Pete Quote
OK thanks for the compliments, but would someone mind telling me what CA is??? Not all of us know what these acronyms mean, which is why I rarely use them.
CA stands for Chromatic Abberration which is fringes of color along boundaries that separate dark and bright parts of the image
08-21-2010, 12:20 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
So cute, I think I like the last shot most!

08-21-2010, 05:48 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
j2photos - Thanks, I took a guess later on last night and that's what I thought, but wasn't sure. And couldn't remember the specifics from my optical theory classes either, it's been 40 years...

Gawan - Glad you liked, I think the last one was one of the best, but I don't think I have a favorite. I have a half dozen more, one where he turned away from me that came out great but didn't upload it, all were just plain cute.