Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
two more of my kids (aka the hummers)
Posted By: Marc Langille, 08-26-2007, 01:17 PM

I spent 30 minutes outside today, re-acquainting myself with the aerial acrobats...

Took 56 shots, and here are the images I love the most... I tried my best to clone out the feeder perch in the bottom left.

Taken at F/5.6, 1/750 sec., ISO 200:

I really loved the lighting for this final shot... 8-)

Taken at F/6.7, 1/500 sec., ISO 200:

Cheers,
Marc
--
Views: 1,504
08-26-2007, 06:28 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Marc, these are really, I mean relly nice shots of hummers. Thanks for posting them.

Heinrich
08-26-2007, 06:42 PM   #3
Veteran Member

WOW!!!!! Seriously... WOW!!!
08-26-2007, 07:12 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Darn you Marc! You've ousted me again with your wonderful photography... great shots and I'm fully impressed by the quality and beauty you've been able capture here. I need to start saving pennies for one of those high end lenses and maybe I'll get something as crisp as these shots.

Keep it up Marc and hope the window for great hummingbird shots is still wide open. I've got maybe a month left for a great shot before having to retire the equipment to other duties.

08-26-2007, 07:30 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
Marc, these are really, I mean relly nice shots of hummers. Thanks for posting them.

Heinrich
QuoteOriginally posted by lapeen Quote
Thank you both for the kind comments and stopping by to look at my images... those words mean I've done right...

Regards,
Marc
08-26-2007, 07:35 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Chris...

QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote
Darn you Marc! You've ousted me again with your wonderful photography... great shots and I'm fully impressed by the quality and beauty you've been able capture here. I need to start saving pennies for one of those high end lenses and maybe I'll get something as crisp as these shots.

Keep it up Marc and hope the window for great hummingbird shots is still wide open. I've got maybe a month left for a great shot before having to retire the equipment to other duties.
Thank you for the kind words Chris! Much appreciated.

To be honest, I was a little reluctant to post these, because I didn't want it to seem like a competition with you - my apologies! In fact, your post simply reminded me about my own shots. Plus, I haven't taken any shots for a while, so I was feeling a little worried/rusty about those difficult hummer shots.

Now, if you or anyone else could review my two posts, please tell me your favorite shot? I am considering submitting an image or two for NANPA...

Regards,
Marc
08-26-2007, 07:47 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilm_user Quote
Thank you for the kind words Chris! Much appreciated.

To be honest, I was a little reluctant to post these, because I didn't want it to seem like a competition with you - my apologies! In fact, your post simply reminded me about my own shots. Plus, I haven't taken any shots for a while, so I was feeling a little worried/rusty about those difficult hummer shots.

Now, if you or anyone else could review my two posts, please tell me your favorite shot? I am considering submitting an image or two for NANPA...

Regards,
Marc
Definitely "Avian Beauty" senior Marc. I'd say the pose and lighting in that shot are an A plus plus and it just looks cool to boot. BTW, competition is actually a good thing since it drives people to go out and try things. Heck on days where I have no idea of what to shoot I come here and see what everyone else is doing and try to equal or better it and if I can't I keep shooting until I'm happy at bare minimum. The satisfaction of crossing off another item from the list of photographic exploits is a wondrous feeling.

08-26-2007, 08:23 PM   #8
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd agree with Chris but frankly I'd submit both. They both have positives for different reasons. Chris has outlined "Avian's" attributes. Why I also like "Mid-Flight" is the detail and lighting of the lower part of the body. The feet on these birds are so small and frail that they don't often show up in photographs. This is one of the few that captures that well. The head and upper body are well captured also.
Superb work!
I might add the thread title didn't grab me and that may be why only a few have had a look so far.
08-26-2007, 09:02 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
don't want to burst your bubble...

QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote

About high end lenses... the shot below was taken with the DA 50-200 "kit lens"... from this post: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/11157-hummingbird-images.html

Taken at F/5.6, 1/125 sec., ISO 100:

To be honest, it can be done with cheaper lenses. However, fast glass makes it a whole lot easier to track the target.

Cheers,
Marc
08-26-2007, 09:11 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Both are amazing, though I like the background in "mid-flight", it's more even and (to me) more pleasing to my eye. Wonderful shots Marc.
08-27-2007, 05:29 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lapeen Quote
That's about all I can say as well.
Something to aspire to I reckon.
08-28-2007, 09:25 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks guys

QuoteOriginally posted by khardur Quote
Both are amazing, though I like the background in "mid-flight", it's more even and (to me) more pleasing to my eye. Wonderful shots Marc.
QuoteOriginally posted by Mechan1k Quote
That's about all I can say as well.
Something to aspire to I reckon.
Much appreciated!

Cheers,
Marc
09-02-2007, 05:45 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
I'd agree with Chris but frankly I'd submit both. They both have positives for different reasons. Chris has outlined "Avian's" attributes. Why I also like "Mid-Flight" is the detail and lighting of the lower part of the body. The feet on these birds are so small and frail that they don't often show up in photographs. This is one of the few that captures that well. The head and upper body are well captured also.
Superb work!
I might add the thread title didn't grab me and that may be why only a few have had a look so far.
Thanks Pete! I agree = more obvious titles next time. I've posted a new set of hummer images, and they've got the closeness and resolution needed for the competition!

Cheers,
Marc