Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Some Photos From Aug 25 4H State Horse Competition (Comments Please)
Posted By: steve917, 08-26-2007, 03:27 PM

A few photos I took Yesterday of My daughter and her friend. Any critique would be welcome.

All photos taken with K10d Tamron 28-300 at ASA 200
Photo 1 - F11 1/400 135mm Normal Prog Center Wgt.
Photo 2 - F5.6 1/125 63mm Normal Prog Center Wgt.
Photo 3 - F11 1/60 34mm Shutter Prior Center Wgt.
Thanks

Steve

Last edited by steve917; 05-18-2008 at 01:56 PM.
Views: 1,339
08-26-2007, 07:06 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Not sure which is your daughter and which is your friend, but they both look great - poised, confident, and serious.

Comments:
#1 - The comp of the horse and rider is great - the background leaves a bit to be desired. I doubt that a wider aperature would have sufficiently blurred it out. Next time (if possible), you might move around a bit more to find a background that will work better when she rides into it.

#2 - You captured precisely the right moment - just as the horse is going up and over the jump. I think a vertical comp could have worked better, and it looks like you had the reach to do so.

#3 - doesn't quite work for me - maybe if you'd been a bit lower so the rider was more silhouetted against the sky?

Keep taking your camera with you. The beauty of digital is that you can just keep shooting away - I went to a horse show around a year ago and shot hundreds of pics to get just a few keepers. They're amazing animals - and riders - to watch in action.
08-26-2007, 07:46 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Steve,
This type of photography is a lot tougher than it looks because there are just so many factors to be taken into consideration...such as:
presentation of rider & horse, the action and movements in harmony with each other, not to mention where you can position yourself so as not to cause a problem for the competitors with movement & noise, light.... etc etc etc etc.
I used to ride in this type of competition (hacking/dressage not jumps & a very, very long time ago!) and used to take a few shots of friends and family, so I am appreciative of the challenges.
Your results are 'ok', but to get that 'perfect' shot that captures the essence of show jumping/dressage is very hard.
Keep trying, your off to a good start.
Cheers
Grant
08-26-2007, 11:51 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Nice shots there indeeed ... the first one is fantastic.

As mentioned ... with horse events it is not easy at all.
You are always going to get a fence in the shot ... guarnateed.

I was hoping to make it out to a numver of events this year and get some practice at these events.

But the the massive outbreak of equine influenza taking the racing industry to a halt (multi-billion dollar industry just stopped) ... and all other horse events Australia-wide have been postponed/cancelled for the rest of the year.

It is that serious at the moment ... if the Police catch you floating a horse (outside your own property) they are to give the owner a $44,000 fine on the spot. I am not kidding.

Shame really ... puts the breeding season in a shambles as well. Thre goes our chance of getting our mares in foal this year.

We have our horses entered in the Arabian National Stud Show championships this year ... but it looks like it is going to be called off (even though it is being held in the middle of November.).