Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Old and new combined in Ottawa's Museum of Nature
Lens: DA16-45mm Camera: K20D Photo Location: Ottawa, Canada 
Posted By: newmikey, 08-21-2010, 02:12 PM

I was impressed by the way the recently reopened museum managed to combine the classic forms of the existing old building with a stunning new steel and glass staircase that seems to have been transplanted onto the building and provides it with light and air and a stunning central hallway and entrance.

We were on a short 3-week holiday to Canada and this was one of the architectural highlights as far as I'm concerned.

The shots were all with the 16-45mm at various ISO settings to capture enough DOF. Some were shot while laying flat on my back, I got some funny stares on several occasions ;-)

File format was raw (PEF) and I converted with UFRaw with on two occasions use of the Lensfun library tab of UFRaw to correct for the effect of the curving lines at the edges and corners of the frame with the lens at its widest setting of 16mm. On the higher ISO shots I used just a bit of wavelet denoising in UFRaw.

Further perspective correction was done in the GIMP, as well as a bit of levels & curves, USM and the final resize.

I hope you enjoy these different views of the building as much as I did!

The museum from the outside with the new glass and steel addition visible on the front:

The old levels visible when looking upward in the central hallway, including the wonderfull atmospheric lighting:

The new addition with staircase visible from the old side of the building through the removed portion of what once was the building's facade:

Looking "in" to the old part of the building from the new staircase through the open part of whatever was left over from the old facade:

The view straight-up in the new staircase:

And a view straight-up in the old hallway with the, now ornamental, facade of the building visible:

Views: 2,438
08-21-2010, 02:22 PM   #2
JMR
Veteran Member

The first shot looks somewhat soft, almost like a film scan. But the overall work is excellent, particularly the interiors. Impressive architecture, well cropped (composed) by your eye.

JMR
08-21-2010, 03:39 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nice to see this building as I have never been there.

Did you get to the National Gallery of Art? One of the most impressive structures, IMO.
08-21-2010, 04:44 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Great shots ! You certainly have an eye for geometrico-architectural shots. I will likely visit Ottawa in the near future, and I'm now very tempted to go to that museum as well (so far, only the Aviation and the Civilization ones were "on the list"...)

08-21-2010, 06:32 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Excellent pictures, although the first does look unexpectedly soft.

Paul
08-21-2010, 07:14 PM   #6
rhe
Closed Account

I was visiting Ottawa last week and spent part of a day at the Museum of Nature. You have done an outstanding job of capturing the new entrance and glass tower addition to the building.
08-23-2010, 02:47 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks you all for the nice comments. I will go back to the first image and put some more work in it, following your advice!

08-24-2010, 10:00 AM   #8
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Nice to see this building as I have never been there.

Did you get to the National Gallery of Art? One of the most impressive structures, IMO.
Yes, I have been to Ottawa twice and never got to see this. Maybe it wasn't open at the time. I did see the National Gallery, though, and have a few shots just like this, looking up at the glass ceiling of their entrance and into their inner atrium.

QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
Great shots ! You certainly have an eye for geometrico-architectural shots. I will likely visit Ottawa in the near future, and I'm now very tempted to go to that museum as well (so far, only the Aviation and the Civilization ones were "on the list"...)
Don't miss the National Gallery either.
09-06-2010, 04:17 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great inside shots with my DA16-45. I'm inspired. Freddy