Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Torc Waterfall
Lens: Vivitar Series 1 105mm Camera: K20D Photo Location: Co. Kerry, Ireland ISO: 100 
Posted By: rparmar, 08-23-2010, 05:38 AM

This is a lovely spot in Killarney National Park, maybe six kilometres south of Killarney town itself. There is a roadside stop and a 200m walk, so it is both easy to find and to get to... unlike so many other Irish sites! Being right on the famed Ring of Kerry circular drive, I am sure about one million other photos exist of this spot.

We got there in the evening as light was fading, which is perfect for long exposures. I used a broken tripod and clambered over rocks to get almost inside some of the pools. I manually overlaid shots with custom curves in order to get enhanced dynamic range. (I have yet to try an HDR program I like.) My PP is different from any other I have tried before. I wanted to keep a certain dark romantic look.

I think I am developing a special fondness for two of these shots, but tell me your favourites (if any). Comments welcome as always.

Torc Waterfall 1

(Shot with the DA 12-24mm.)

Torc Waterfall 2

(Shot with the DA 12-24mm.)

Torc Waterfall detail 1

(Shot with the Vivitar Series 1 105mm macro.)

Torc Waterfall detail 2

Torc Waterfall detail 3

Views: 2,710
08-23-2010, 06:41 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Beautiful spot, Robin. I can see why you like this falls so much. I like the first and last best. First, because of the depth and also the softly outlined submerged rocks as well as the green highlights. Last because of the tendrils of water over the stepped falls. The second one is a bit blue for my taste, but that's just a personal thing. Well done.
08-23-2010, 11:57 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
These look great to me, Robin. Lush with rich color.

Jer
08-23-2010, 01:40 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I can see why many compare Ireland and NW Oregon. We have more conifers, these look a lot ike home. Nice photos.

08-23-2010, 01:58 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks Jer, Tamia, Civiletti!

Tamia, I think I agree about the blue and prefer the more muted look of the last shot.