Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Jumping Spider
Lens: Pentax A 50mm 1.4 Camera: K-x Photo Location: Louisiana ISO: 200 
Posted By: Paleo Pete, 08-26-2010, 04:42 PM

Using my binocular lens rig again, got this jumping spider at a local wildlife management area called Handy Brake.

Sitting on my tripod leg clip

Then it went to investigate my water bottle, I thought this made an interesting shot..

I got a half dozen more, these were the best two.

Click each image to view larger size.
Views: 2,146
08-26-2010, 04:45 PM   #2

I love jumping spiders, they're os photogenic.
08-26-2010, 04:46 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Gosh but he's cute, Pete, and you did a great job there, particularly as he commandeered your tripod.
08-26-2010, 04:51 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Geez you two must have been sitting here just waiting for someone to post, I've barely finished...

Thanks a lot for the compliments, I like trying to shoot jumping spiders, the last one I tried didn't come out well and I was really disappointed, first time I've had a chance to shoot one with red and blue face and fangs...wild looking critter, none of my shots were focused well enough. my eyes were tired after 3 hours of walking around shooting bugs, butterflies, skinks, you name it...With this one I'd only been out a half hour or so, and was able to get some very good clear shots.

08-26-2010, 04:56 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm pouncing again, Pete . I know what you mean about tired eyes after a time in the field. Your eye was spot on this time, I'd say. Would love to see some skink pictures. Never met one in real life.
08-26-2010, 05:22 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
OK here you go.

THis is a Five Lined skink, very common around here. The males develop an orange chin during breeding season, they get about 8 inches long.

This is a different one, I don't know it's name, and not a great shot, I couldn't get very close. These are really skittish and the 135mm lens didn't do a great job, I was still trying to gt used to it.

08-26-2010, 11:36 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Great shots in all aspects. Well spotted.

08-27-2010, 05:02 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

those spiders are gregarious creatures.... very inquisitive.... are they aggressive??? dave m
08-27-2010, 06:24 AM   #9
Forum Member

The jumping spider photos are really captivating – they make such good subjects with those big eyes. I’ve never come across one (in the UK). The tripod works very nicely as a background.
08-27-2010, 09:03 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi Pete, did great job with spider, skink was added bonus, really got a kick out of that guy, spent countless hours chasing them.
08-27-2010, 12:12 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the skink pix, Pete. They have quite long tails, and that five-lined skink has a neato blue one.
08-27-2010, 05:40 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Tamia - Several skinks have blue tails, I just read about one that can pop its tail off in a danger situation, scoot off and leave it wiggling to distract the predator. Can't find anything on the green bellied one though, plenty on others in wiki and other sites.

Dave - This one didn't seem to be aggressive, more curious than anything. A bit skittish, but not bad, and let me get pretty close to take pictures. If it had been aggressive, I'm not sure if it would have been risky, I have no idea how poisonous that one is, but at about 3/8 inch long, it was a challenging subject so I grabbed the binocular lens and started shooting, not too worried about aggression after a minute or two. The tripod clamp was about a foot from the board where my water bottle was sitting, it jumped across...

Eaglem, Metaphiston, BillM - Thanks, I appreciate the compliments.

BilM - I usually get very few chances to shoot skinks, they are very skittish and disappear before I get within 15 feet most of the time. Usually they are gone before I spot them, or all I see is a quick flash of blue tail as they scoot under some leaves... Occasionally I get a chance, but I had to chase the green bellied one for a long way through the brush to get a shot or two. Very shy critters. I was hoping to get a shot or two of the breeding males this spring, but it never happened. Never got even close to one...