Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Lazy afternoon in the paddock
Posted By: Mechan1k, 08-28-2007, 11:57 AM

Took a few shots on the horses in the front paddock the other afternoon.
We had just given them a quick brush and comb, etc. Has just stopped raining so we had a chance to brush them.

Excuse the dull colours ... it still winter here and the grass has been eaten right down ... and frost as killed most of it off as well.

The girls are very quiet so not too hard to capture .. the problem is ... sometimes they just down want their photo taken and turn their bum towards me

I was looking forward to the show season as I want to get asome nice shots with them immaculately groomed ... but with the outbreak of Equine Influenza here in Australia ... looks like all horse events for the rest of the year is cancelled ... booo.

Anyway ... enjoy.

K10D w/18-55mm kit lens - 45mm, F/4.5, 1/20sec, ISO 100

K10D w/18-55mm kit lens - 33mm, F/4, 1/30sec, ISO 100

K10D w/18-55mm kit lens - 33mm, F/4, 1/30sec, ISO 100

K10D w/18-55mm kit lens - 40mm, F/4.5, 1/30sec, ISO 140

K10D w/18-55mm kit lens - 40mm, F/4.5, 1/45sec, ISO 400

K10D w/18-55mm kit lens - 18mm, F/3.5, 1/45sec, ISO 100

Oh ... they are Pure-Bred Arabian mares ... the Chestnut mare is 16 (she had her previous foal 2 years ago) ... and the Bay mare is a recent addition to our place ... she is 5 and we will start breeding with her this next season.

I'll get some other pics of the Chestnut mare's offspring ... he's in a back paddock/yard ... and my wife shows him in Halter classes as a 2yo pure-bred Arabian Gelding. He has already won the Australian National Champion award at the Arabian National Stud Horse show the previous year.

Will share more horse images later on as the weather gets better.

Last edited by Mechan1k; 08-28-2007 at 12:08 PM. Reason: added EXIF data
Views: 1,664
08-28-2007, 02:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice shots of some magnificent beasts. Sorry to hear about the Equine Influenza outbreak. Winter is just around the corner here .... Bummer (but I have a few breaks planned to some hot spots )
08-28-2007, 06:33 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You have some beautiful friends there Simon.

My personal favorite is the in your face look of #2
08-29-2007, 05:08 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for that everyone ... only a few quick shots ... trying to get a decent shot of them is hard ... and getting the angle right ... and also having the fence in the way as well. Although i made sure I took these shots right on sunset giving a nicer light and less shadow.

I was thinking about going into their paddock ... but they get a little inquisitive and would get a little TOO close to the camera for my liking ... place the ground is still VERY slippery and muddy from the rains we just had ... so wasn't going in due to that as well.

Stu ... as you can see ... her mouth is blurred .... she was too busy chewing away

Anyway ... we have had a close eye on our horses and so far they are OK and healthy ... no symptoms of the flu at the moment ... but still gotta check them. We have equine anti-biotics in one of our fridges anyway as a back-up if needed ... so we are prepared.

I think next time I might use a CP filter ... and hopefully not blow the sky out too much. Although when i get the longer lens ... I'll give it a go from a bit more of a distance and see how it turns out.