Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  
I now have to share my K7
Posted By: dgaies, 08-28-2010, 09:02 PM

So it looks like I now have to share my K7 with my 3-1/2 year old son.

I tried to gave him an old K1000 to play around with but he told me "I like this one better because it takes pictures I can see". I (unsuccessfully) tried to explain to him how film works before I just gave up and let him take pictures of his toys on the ground with the K7 + DA35

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 

Last edited by dgaies; 08-28-2010 at 09:19 PM. Reason: typo
Views: 6,174
08-29-2010, 11:59 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
Looks like a pro in the making. JIM
QuoteOriginally posted by Iris Quote
Great shots!!

I had a real good laugh (my boyfriend even came down asking what was so funny because I was laughing that loud), thanks
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
That is so brilliant! Thanks for the entertaining thread.
Thanks! Glad you all enjoyed the thread

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Next up: My cat takes video with K-x and FA43. ;-)
That should make for a nice, light combo that your cat should be able to handle

08-29-2010, 01:33 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
Good point, I forgot to look at them last night

Here is one of his shots. Personally, I think it needs a lot of work. Not sure why he choose his exposure setting... as long as he was using a tripod there was no reason to push it to ISO2200. The composition is boring and the box in the foreground is a bit distracting. Perhaps he should flip through the book from inside the box for some tips (Understanding Exposure).
Wow Dan, you're critique is sounding like the attached, picking apart masterworks. I like what the boy has saying here. He is obviously influenced by the work of William Eggleston (an example in attachment I think). In this satire of Eggleston's iconic 'trike' photo (which juxtaposes the Child's Dream against the American Dream), he contrasts objects of which you are both passionate about and of which you have both imbued a little of yourselves. His choice of DoF is spot on and I like his deliberate placement of his object of attention vice yours. The commentary is sharp yet subtle.

C'mon Dad, a little more support and a little less naive jealousy

Last edited by stillshunter; 08-29-2010 at 01:52 PM.
08-29-2010, 02:01 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

you are a great dad.... my own pop wouldn't even let me touch his tools... probably smart since i probably would have shot myself in the head with his staple gun.... took me a while to mature....lol....... you are truly an inspiration to a new generation of pentaxians...... dave m
08-29-2010, 02:19 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stillshunter Quote
Wow Dan, you're critique is sounding like the attached, picking apart masterworks. I like what the boy has saying here. He is obviously influenced by the work of William Eggleston (an example in attachment I think). In this satire of Eggleston's iconic 'trike' photo (which juxtaposes the Child's Dream against the American Dream), he contrasts objects of which you are both passionate about and of which you have both imbued a little of yourselves. His choice of DoF is spot on and I like his deliberate placement of his object of attention vice yours. The commentary is sharp yet subtle.

C'mon Dad, a little more support and a little less naive jealousy
Well, I have the photographer sitting here next to me so I decided to let him weight-in on the topic. I showed him his picture (which he hadn't see before) and asked him to describe his vision. He answered "Dad, it's my yellow dump truck <short pause> and a box." [in a tone that suggested I should have known the answer to my own question]. Then we went back to watching SpongeBob SquarePants

In his defense, he was somewhat limited in terms of composition as I wouldn't let him move the tripod with the K7 mounted. Perhaps I'll let him go free-range with the Kx (with something light mounted to it), stick in Auto and let him have a little more creative freedom next time

08-30-2010, 01:50 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Thanks Dan. It's always nice to hear from the artist...jeez that had me in stitches...THANK YOU!

So he wants the instant gratification of digital - don't we all - so is his to be the Kx?
08-30-2010, 12:14 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stillshunter Quote
Thanks Dan. It's always nice to hear from the artist...jeez that had me in stitches...THANK YOU!

So he wants the instant gratification of digital - don't we all - so is his to be the Kx?
QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
you are a great dad.... my own pop wouldn't even let me touch his tools... probably smart since i probably would have shot myself in the head with his staple gun.... took me a while to mature....lol....... you are truly an inspiration to a new generation of pentaxians...... dave m
Thanks

I've already lost my netbook to him... I figure my Kx is next. Hopefully by the time he feels the need to upgrade to the feature set of the K7, I'll have already bought the K5
08-30-2010, 12:40 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
Hey, if he wants to shoot with the K7 then I'm not sticking it in Green mode for him. Tough love
Aperture priority is the obvious choice tripod-mounted. He'll be kvetching about bokeh within six months.

08-30-2010, 06:59 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by civiletti Quote
Aperture priority is the obvious choice tripod-mounted. He'll be kvetching about bokeh within six months.
A couple months ago I was playing around with large apertures and practicing my manual focusing skills (or lack of) using a long line of his toy cars. He came in and asked to see some of the pictures I had just taken and wasn't very impressed with the A50/1.2, nor it's bokeh. He demanded to know why most of his cars looked so "fuzzy". We'll see if his tastes change in the next 6 months
08-30-2010, 09:20 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
3 1/2 and he can take a decent pic and use a laptop? I'm totally impressed! I tend to agree with him on the bokeh thing though. I'm not not huge on using creative blur even if it is artistically correct sometimes. I tend to like my subjects sharp and detailed.

That's why my Fuji frustrates the heck out of me. It's a good camera for an upscale point and shoot but no matter what you do or change settings-wise what comes out of it is never as detailed as I'd like even in macro mode. I've played with every mode, aperture, iso setting, film speed, done RAW vs JPEG, and there's only slight improvement on that score. Over time I've come to accept that it just is what it is, an almost 8 year old camera with some real limitations.

I'm not too surprised he turned you down after shooting with a K-7. I probably would have too, grin. You should get him something inexpensive like an old *ist for the holidays. That way he gets his instant gratification and if he accidentally drops it he won't be costing you your own favorite toy.
08-31-2010, 05:16 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
3 1/2 and he can take a decent pic and use a laptop? I'm totally impressed!
He pretty much uses the computer to get onto Netflix and stream instant movies/tv shows. Not quite as good with the touchpad as the regular mouse on the desktop, but I let him have the netbook on a long 8 hour road trip last month and now he thinks it's his

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
I'm not too surprised he turned you down after shooting with a K-7. I probably would have too, grin. You should get him something inexpensive like an old *ist for the holidays. That way he gets his instant gratification and if he accidentally drops it he won't be costing you your own favorite toy.
Actually, I think he prefer the Kx to the K7 as it's lighter and fits his hands better. That's fine by me as the Kx was less than half the price of the K7. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't be happy if he dropped and broke the Kx, but since I only paid $350 for it brand new and it already has 15,000+ shots already on it, I suppose on some level I would feel like I already got my money's worth
01-18-2014, 04:21 AM   #26

Photos: Albums
Haha second picture of him face smacked on LCD screen, very enthusiast.