Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Furry Friend
Lens: 70-200 Camera: K20 Photo Location: Maple Ridge ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/750s Aperture: F4.5 
Posted By: Jimbo, 08-29-2010, 11:59 AM

Couple of shots from this morning. This little guy was moving all over the place making it difficult to get a good shot. Here is one of tow I was able to get. I was about 10 feet away. The second is was shot just as the sun was rising. I was hoping for more colors on the run rise given the clouds but this is what I ended up with. JIM

Views: 4,295
08-29-2010, 02:04 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
jim.... what member of the weasel family is that.... hard to believe, but in our small city, we have fisher cats sightings.... and foxes.... dave m
08-29-2010, 03:04 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
jim.... what member of the weasel family is that.... hard to believe, but in our small city, we have fisher cats sightings.... and foxes.... dave m
Not sure Dave. First time I spotted one. JIM
08-30-2010, 11:18 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

JIM, a great, sharp and detailed shot of a weasel; I doubt that I've ever laid eyes on one of the critters outside of a zoo.

Nice job, as always.

Jer

08-30-2010, 11:21 AM   #5
axl
Inactive Account

I like the furry friend Jim, thanks for sharing
08-30-2010, 11:22 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
JIM, a great, sharp and detailed shot of a weasel; I doubt that I've ever laid eyes on one of the critters outside of a zoo.

Nice job, as always.

Jer
Thanks Jer. This guy was moving around so quick I almost missed him. I have one more I was able to get which I may post. JIM
08-30-2010, 03:21 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Cute animal! Thanks for sharing.
08-30-2010, 03:31 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Cute animal! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for looking and commenting Miss Alexx and Peter. JIM[

08-30-2010, 05:22 PM   #9
mel
Veteran Member

What a cute little critter. I generally don't like weasley and ferretty things but that one's darn cute. Maybe because it's not in a cage smelling up the place.
08-30-2010, 09:37 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
What a cute little critter. I generally don't like weasley and ferretty things but that one's darn cute. Maybe because it's not in a cage smelling up the place.
Thanks Mel. I have not seen you around much. Appreciate you looking in. JIM
08-30-2010, 10:28 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Looks like a stoat or ermine, probably a stoat because they have shorter tails and are usually brown. You're in Canada right? You only have like 3 or 4 types of weasel up there, and I think the stoats are more common now. They used to have a lot more ermines up there but back in the early part of settling North America they hunted the poor things nearly to extinction. The uppermost class liked to wear things lined with ermine and on their cloaks.

He's wonderful! Too cute! We have weasels here too but I have yet to capture one with a camera.

I did see one the other day though and it made me laugh.

Smart, cheeky little thing he was! He was at the curb and when the stop light turned red he scampered across like he owned the street! He went down into a watery area near a drainage ditch. Probably looking for some lunch, I guess, but it was broad daylight!

You know I really need to start taking a camera to the grocery store. That was a good shot and I so missed it, sigh...
08-31-2010, 07:10 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Looks like a stoat or ermine, probably a stoat because they have shorter tails and are usually brown. You're in Canada right? You only have like 3 or 4 types of weasel up there, and I think the stoats are more common now. They used to have a lot more ermines up there but back in the early part of settling North America they hunted the poor things nearly to extinction. The uppermost class liked to wear things lined with ermine and on their cloaks.

He's wonderful! Too cute! We have weasels here too but I have yet to capture one with a camera.

I did see one the other day though and it made me laugh.

Smart, cheeky little thing he was! He was at the curb and when the stop light turned red he scampered across like he owned the street! He went down into a watery area near a drainage ditch. Probably looking for some lunch, I guess, but it was broad daylight!

You know I really need to start taking a camera to the grocery store. That was a good shot and I so missed it, sigh...
Yes I live just outside Vancouver BC. Appreciate you commenting. JIM
08-31-2010, 07:56 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Great capture on that furry friend.

I believe he is a mink or more specifically an American Mink. They are closely related to weasels.
08-31-2010, 08:53 AM   #14
Veteran Member

What a cutie! Nice shot.
08-31-2010, 09:49 AM   #15

Nice shot. American mink. Stoats are lighter in colour and are countershaded (ie much lighter underneath) and have a black tail tip. Ermine and stoat are the same - ermine is just a stoat that has grown a white winter coat. Not all populations do this - only those where there is extended continuous snow cover.