Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Nine street photographs
Lens: Sigma 24-60mm f/2.8, Sigma 10-20mm EX f/3.5 Camera: K-7 Photo Location: Wellington 
Posted By: CWyatt, 08-31-2010, 12:30 AM

Photos over four days in Wellington, New Zealand. All with K-7 and Sigma 24-60mm EX f/2.8 or Sigma 10-20mm EX f/3.5.

Some might make my website, some will end up in the B-side box. But I thought they were interesting as a four-day shooting series.

No titles as yet.

Views: 3,839
08-31-2010, 12:41 AM   #2

Good set.

The last one is very well spotted.
08-31-2010, 02:01 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like them all except the 2nd to the last one, which I don't understand.
08-31-2010, 03:36 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Truly superb collection of images. Thanks for sharing!

08-31-2010, 01:02 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Missed the tenth shot somehow.

08-31-2010, 01:56 PM   #6
Inactive Account

How do you get such great black and white "colors"?
08-31-2010, 02:25 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Great series - I really dig #9.

Jer

08-31-2010, 05:26 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by froggertwenty Quote
How do you get such great black and white "colors"?
1st off getting it right when shooting is important - correct exposure, and shooting frames with different amounts of light and/or with different colours.

EDIT, add this important bit in: I shoot RAW, and in Adobe camera RAW I take the contrast down to 0, minor adjust any exposure necessary, and try to have 'recovery' and 'blacks' as low as possible while keeping a good exposure. 'Blacks' slider in particular can eat up detail if you have heavy shade.

Then I use Silver Efex Pro in photoshop (2nd best to that is channel conversion). Use variations of colour filters (or no filter) to get the right effect. For example, shot #2 is a blue wall, using a yellow/red filter makes it black while making skin a more pleasant light tone.

I stay away from contrast and brightness sliders (very destructive), you can do that all more effectively with curves adjustments, levels can also be useful for touch ups or to get strong contrast (still better than contrast slider). Silver Efex Pro does add a few useful sliders in 'structure' and 'local contrast' which bring out detail well.

Last edited by CWyatt; 09-01-2010 at 12:43 PM.
08-31-2010, 05:42 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I love your 3rd shot! What shutter speed was that at, for the rain, and where'd you focus it? And did you use a flash? It's going to be raining for a while around here so I'd love to try and do something like that
09-01-2010, 01:45 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi jaieger, no flash (some natural light was lighting the rain between buildings), shutter at 1/45, focused down on the ground.

Thanks for the feedback. What I have decided on so far is up, along with some other stuff:
Camus Wyatt | Latest
09-01-2010, 01:59 AM   #11
NKK
Inactive Account

They are all great, but i allso really like the "rain" shot
09-01-2010, 03:04 AM   #12
Inactive Account

I realise you have gone to some effort in your presentation, but as far as these street images go, I like what you have captured in #9 and find the perspective in #3 interesting but TBH I find the others a little boring & cliche. Jamming a camera in someone's face is always the hardest, but you just have to do it.
09-01-2010, 12:53 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fractal Quote
I realise you have gone to some effort in your presentation, but as far as these street images go, I like what you have captured in #9 and find the perspective in #3 interesting but TBH I find the others a little boring & cliche. Jamming a camera in someone's face is always the hardest, but you just have to do it.
Hi fractal, thanks for your opinion, and I see your point. However I personally try to take a range, with some more 'people' based face shots:
Camus Wyatt | Images of Asia
Camus Wyatt | Images of Asia
Camus Wyatt | Street II

I think it's worth noting that some of the street photographers I most admire: HCB and Doisneau also shot a wide range, from the expressions of one person to animals in the street to shadows.

There seems to be a multitude of street shots now which are, I am happy to say, unplanned moments with real faces and expressions etc, and I'm sorry to say, don't have any particular composition or moment that makes them interesting. I read a post recently which said much street photography now 'could have been taken by CCTV' which I thought was a great line.

So what I'm trying to say is that I see your point (and am planning on more people-based shots soon), but a photo being interesting or being 'street' just because it's someone's face is, for me, the real cliche.
09-01-2010, 11:59 PM   #14
Inactive Account

I've seen your images from Asia and remember them to be very good. Asia is just a great place generally for street photography. I would imagine street shots in NZ to require a lot more thought going into the composition, especially with a wide-angle.

I have no qualms about the dog shot if that's what you are talking about in regards to not being street. I just wish you could have taken a lower angle on it (the dog). I wholeheartedly agree that anything that appears on the street can be a street shot though. I look forward to seeing some of your shots from the Sigma 30mm.. although hip-shot composition can be tricky, i'm having a ball with it
09-02-2010, 12:10 AM   #15
axl
Veteran Member

Very nice set,
numbers 3, 5 and especially 9 are standouts for me! well done...

Last edited by axl; 09-02-2010 at 03:21 AM.