Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Vivitar 105/2.5
Posted By: Eaglerapids, 08-29-2007, 08:29 PM

These are probably more suited to my flyfishing forum but I'm working the kinks out of my 105/2.5 and the lightbox I built on the cheap. I must say I'm falling in love with this lens. Just a couple of flies I've tied and there are some faint glimmers of ideas hatching of where I could go with this.

Views: 3,698
08-29-2007, 09:41 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice flies Eaglerapids.

I wish that I could tie them like that.
But then again I have to buy something from the stores who sell my pictures, and since a fly shop is one of them I just buy them there.

I just love my Vivitar 28mm f2.8, and think that I'd like to own their macro as well.
They have some really nice glass.
08-30-2007, 05:28 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you Stu.
I really want a wide angle prime and have been looking around. Do you have any photos posted taken with your Vivitar?
The 105/2.5 is a rather large lens but I'm finding I can hand hold it (these photos were taken on a tripod) easier than my Pentax M-135/3.5 which is much smaller. It's weird but the Vivitar balances very well on the K10D, I'm having a lot of fun with it and am finding it very difficult to take it off the camera:-).
08-30-2007, 05:42 PM   #4
Veteran Member

That's how I feel about the 28mm

The photo's on this thread were all taken with the 28mm
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/11209-3-more-simple-photos-farm-life.html
I fell in love with it for landscapes, and even got a couple of ok macro style photo's like this one as well.

This is the top of a blade of grass

edit, another macro. These berries are around the size of a pee

They were cropped to fit the screen, not shrunk in any way.

Last edited by little laker; 08-30-2007 at 05:48 PM.
08-30-2007, 05:50 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The Vivitar 28/2.8 has just been added to my short list of lenses to buy! Those landscapes are awesome, wow.
08-30-2007, 05:57 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Nice flies!

What size hook is used in the weighted one?

Also- care to share your lightbox design???
08-30-2007, 07:51 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Tom, the hook was a size 4 3xl.

As for the lightbox....you've busted me. I would like to say I thought all this up, but, of course, I didn't. It all started when I was looking around for flash solutions after I got the viv 105/2.5 to shoot macros. Somewhere along the line clicking links, I came to a site, a Canon site . Well, I'm a liberal thinker when it comes to ideas. A great idea is a great idea no matter what the tool used and these guys have a incredible thread going. Something like 78 pages! Hang on, I'll post the link in a minute.
Pepperoni started it with a somewhat primitive light box but he was getting some great shots and the idea took off. By page 28 Cat posted his materials list:
Canon Digital Photography Forums - View Single Post - The official Random Discussion For TPBM Photo's and Photographers Thread (1)
So I went off to Wal-Mart and everything was there.
Warning! Be very careful with these lights, if you get them, they get HOT. I turn them on only to take pictures and then turn them off.
Here's, basicly what it looks like:
Another DIY light box, with build and test pics - Page 14 - Canon Digital Photography Forums
I'm linking to these guys' thread because they deserve the credit, not me.
The thread from the beginning:
Another DIY light box, with build and test pics - Canon Digital Photography Forums

I hope I'm not breaking any etiquette rules by posting these links, it certainly is not my intention. This topic is not about one camera or another, it's about a lightbox and these guys have a very informative thread going with a lot of discussion about how they work, white balance, etc. You can't see many of their pics without registering and I haven't registered but you can see enough of them to get the idea.

For the streamer picture, I printed a 8.5 x 11 borderless picture of some water that I had taken and used it for a backdrop. I played around with the colors before printing to get the color blue that I thought would look good with the fly.

Last edited by Eaglerapids; 08-30-2007 at 08:04 PM. Reason: more stuff
08-30-2007, 08:25 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Excellent shots her and your lightbox is in good working order. I'm trying to get the ingredients to put one together myself so if I have questions I'll know who to turn to. Thanks again for the links and keep making those flies and taking pics!