Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Portrait of a Butterfly
Lens: Pentax M 50mm f2 Camera: K-x Photo Location: Louisiana ISO: 200 
Posted By: Paleo Pete, 09-01-2010, 05:31 PM

This is a Gulf Fritillary, a pretty common butterfly here and not as skittish as many. Sometimes downright friendly...

This one landed on my ankle, then climbed onto my finger and let me get at least a dozen good shots. Here are a couple of close ups, shot with an older 50mm Pentax M 50mm f2 and my home grown binocular lens macro attachment. Ever see a face like that?

I really like this picture, it looks more like it was painted.

Click on each picture to view larger size
Views: 1,974
09-01-2010, 09:21 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What color! Downright beautiful shots. Not sure how much of the credit goes to the subject versus the photog but thats a fine looking series.
09-01-2010, 09:31 PM   #3
Inactive Account

wow. beautiful
09-01-2010, 11:47 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Nice, never saw a *white* butterfly!

09-02-2010, 12:21 AM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

#2 - well done
and with this plain old M lens, you 've done remarkably well.
Thanks for sharing.
09-02-2010, 01:54 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks a lot all, those are the best shots I've been able to get with that lens so far, but I'm not through trying. I'm thinking about posting a few more of this series to my gallery here if anyone would like to see more, let me know.

hcarvalhoalves - boy what a nick, I hope I spelled it right...The upper side of the wings is a gorgeous burnt orange, I have a shot somewhere, I'll try to find it. The bottom side you're seeing is multicolor with orange background and white blobs that have black rings around them. One of the best looking underwings in the butterfly world, most are much more drab and plain looking.

There are white butterflies though, the Cabbage Butterfly and Checkered White are both white with dark grey spots, and I think one of the Blues is a very pale blue, almost white, also very small.

Here's an older shot of the upper wings of a Gulf Fritillary, this butterfly, taken in Texas this July.

And a Checkered White, since you've never seen one. Taken in Oklahoma in June.

09-02-2010, 06:49 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Heck yeah Pete, both are nice, but the second really does it, its just beautiful.

09-03-2010, 04:34 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Bill, I think that second one may be my favorite of the whole set, it looks like it was painted.