- played with unsharpen filters
Lightroom and Photoshop

Views: 1,539
09-03-2010, 01:39 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
She looks cool and collected in front of the camera.
Nice work, though a few places of improvement stand out - I'll refrain from deliberating on them given C&C is not solicited.
Hope you both enjoyed the shoot.
09-03-2010, 06:13 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
@Ash - thanks a lot man. C&Cs are welcome, still a newbie in photography
09-04-2010, 12:47 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I like them, and Rafael, you are a very lucky man, Therese is a real beauty !!

09-04-2010, 01:25 PM   #5
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

OK redeleon - no probs.
First and foremost you have a both a photogenic and comfortable (in front of the camera) model for a girlfriend/finacee/wife. She will no doubt have many portraits to look at throughout her life.

Good results with an OK (not excellent) lens. You're bold with your PP work. The high contrast and oversaturated look does highlight the strengths of the portraits, but 2,4,6 and 7 do have significant loss of important detail on her face that could otherwise be preserved with a less-heavy handed approach. This may be the intended effect, but due to the harsh lighting, the contrast is already quite high in the results, making it easy to clip highlights and shadows in PP.

This brings me to the choice in lighting - quite strong and axial (frontal), which does lend to a flat result despite the well-lit subject with high contrast. I see you did bounce flash on some of these, so 2,3,4 and 5 have softer shadows and perhaps a little more texture detail than the others, however they are still a little too flat for my liking. Have a look at the work produced by devisor and benjikan to see what I mean by this.

Next point is posing. Kudos for trying out these perspectives and angles. 3 and 5 are especially good in this regard. Be careful of the unflattering long neck problem in 2 from her looking up into the lens. The last one is a little better in this regard, but she is not the most comfortable gazing towards the camera for the shot, and it shows. There is also such a thing as 'smiling too much' and this is evident to me in 5 - it is otherwise a fine B&W portrait.

Makeup - again, look at how makeup complements, rather than overpowers, the subject in the styling by devisor and benjikan - Therese is overwhelmed by the eye liner and lipstick that it's difficult to appreciate her beauty.

Finally, focusing - and here is where the biggest problem lies. Once you're out of focus, the portrait cannot be salvaged and loses its impact from the onset. It appears focus was set on the dots of her clothes in 1, 4 and 7, leaving her face out of focus. Be careful about this. And in 5, it looks like the hair around her ears is in focus but her eyes are not - what a shame! This would have made an excellent portrait - nevertheless, you have access to this pretty model, so you can do a reshoot!

All the best, and I hope this has been helpful.
09-04-2010, 10:41 PM   #6

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
@ASH - truly helpful.. thanks for the comments.
actually she just came in from a photoshoot, and while she still has her make-up we just did some shots right here at home lol

my room is small, and I only have this lens so framing the shots were quite hard for me, since I have to go through a lot of movements in a very tight room..

with PP - haha! yeah after going through the pictures several times I noticed that there are shots where PP may seem a bit too much

as for the focusing, Im using a Manual focus lens, still practicing my manual focusing
with lighting I only have 1 light which is from my Flashgun

thanks so much for your comments I really appreciate it