Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
V8 Supercars
Lens: 70 - 200mm Camera: ist*DL Photo Location: Bathurst NSW 
Posted By: Dan1005, 09-07-2010, 04:15 AM

Just some shots I decided to play around with from the V8 supercar event at Bathurst in 2006. Unfortunately I don't have a copy of Photoshop yet, so just using a basic editing program already on the computer..

Views: 2,065
09-07-2010, 09:47 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice shots, but both of these could use some levels/contrast adjustment that could be done in photoshop (or GIMP, for that matter, if you don't want to wait).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-07-2010, 06:21 PM   #3
Pentaxian

1 Holden, 1 Ford, very diplomatic posting! Like the first one, though unsure of what you've done with it.
09-07-2010, 08:20 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ditto what Adam said and these could be really good.

For our Nthn Hemisphere friends, Bathurst is the the town near where the Mt Panorama circuit is and the home of what we Aussies call "The Great Race" where V8 powered Fords & Holdens (Chevs) race up & down this truly amazing circuit for annual glory.

Mount Panorama Motor Racing Circuit, Bathurst NSW Australia

It is not a place for the faint hearted, both on & off the track.
Many an overseas driver has arrived with the intent to show the locals how its done to only get a very rude awakening. The most recent trier was Boris Said of Nascar fame who competed in 2009 and was blown away by the whole experience.

An amazing place, it is a public road when not being used for racing and to drive at the speed limit even is a test of nerve in certain places.

Cheers
Grant

PS: the name " Marshall " on the window of the 2nd shot I believe is Marcus Marshall who would be known to US motorsport fans through Indy Cars.

Last edited by Mallee Boy; 09-07-2010 at 08:24 PM. Reason: see PS
09-07-2010, 11:51 PM   #5

Original Poster
Arpe: Thanks, with the first photo it was just playing with the three levels I have on iphoto of Exposure, contrast, saturation, highlights... I havent done much photo editing as in the past I preferred to just leave the photos as is..
Im actually a holden man through and through but unfortunately in 2006 our day was pretty bad and most ended up like this:

If your Interested Mallee Boy for these photo's I was sitting at the chase, so cars decelerating from 250ish km/h to about what 130? ... was a good day.. and your right it is the same Marcus Marshall
09-08-2010, 12:50 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice work Dan,
I have had the pleasure of being at The Great Race on three occasions, the first time was when Bill Brown rolled his Falcon along the top of the armco...right in front of us, in those days we parked on the fence.
Second time was when the Gricey ran amok in the Chikadee Commodore and the third time was when my marque, Ford, won it with Dick Johnson and John Bowe in the Shell Falcons.

Each time we camped on the mountain....an experience in itself that I would not repeat again unless they have cleaned it up a lot.

Cheers
Grant
09-08-2010, 10:20 AM   #7
Veteran Member

There's no way it is cleaned up on top of the mountain.

My Brother-in-Law heads up there for work every year literally ... and mingles in the crowd "watching" for overly rowdy behaviour ... and calls in when backup is needed.

There is a limit of one case of beer per person per day .... but that's nowhere near enough for a lot of people. When does occur is some people go up the week or so before and bury alcohol up there.

It's pretty full on over the top of the mountain ... not a family friendly section i can tell you.

Nice shots .... I like the first one ... where there is still a bit of colour with the back-off post overfuel ignition.

I know of a few people from CircleWork that attend the Great Race .... and also the Production endurance race as well.

It's not far off though ... weekend after the October Long weekend ... just around the corner.

It's extremely slow driving the course at the speed limit of 60km/h ... although the dipper you can still left the inside left tyre if you come down into it a little warm ... along with the protest of your other tyres. You literally can't stand on the track at the dipper it is that steep in that section.

I still look at snippets of the old racing though ... of Dicko doing the flying lap in the Green, John Palmer Tube Mills XE Falcon ... with the Clevo absolutely screaming up the mountain ... they don't sound like they used to ... was a big off through the trees he had when he broke a steering arm coming out onto Conrod straight though ... just nudged the armco a bit hard.