Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
kayaking on the bay...
Lens: sigma 70-200mm f2.8 non macro 1st gen Camera: k-x Photo Location: narragansett bay ri ISO: 400 Aperture: F8 
Posted By: dcmsox2004, 09-08-2010, 03:36 PM

.... the jamestown bridge in the background in the 1st two.. all shots at 200mm and f8... should've tried f11 or so.....

..... the newport bridge in the background in the next shots...

Views: 2,247
09-08-2010, 03:56 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
Great shots Dave! When was this picture taken? I was down by the Bay myself today, lolol.
09-08-2010, 04:30 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Soothing shots to my salt-water brain. I actually was puzzled by the first shot as when someone says the "bay" and "jamestown" I think of the Chesapeake Bay and the James River bridge that is within sight of Jamestown on the James. Its all 30 minutes from my house. But yours just looked all wrong until I scrolled a bit. Nice to know the world is bigger than Virginia.

The first shots seem ok to me without pushing to f11. With all the motion, including birds, I like avoiding the motion blur. I like them as they are.
09-08-2010, 06:26 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisOBrien Quote
Great shots Dave! When was this picture taken? I was down by the Bay myself today, lolol.
conimicut point, warwick ri.... a small beach area... great place in the spring and fall.... we should meet up some time.... thanks, dave m
QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
Soothing shots to my salt-water brain. I actually was puzzled by the first shot as when someone says the "bay" and "jamestown" I think of the Chesapeake Bay and the James River bridge that is within sight of Jamestown on the James. Its all 30 minutes from my house. But yours just looked all wrong until I scrolled a bit. Nice to know the world is bigger than Virginia.

The first shots seem ok to me without pushing to f11. With all the motion, including birds, I like avoiding the motion blur. I like them as they are.
i guess we are lucky enough to both have beautiful bay areas.... thanks, dave m

09-09-2010, 06:32 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Love this series -- the quality of the light, the colors, and especially the heat shimmer and hazy bridge. I can almost smell the water.
09-10-2010, 01:48 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nice shots and well taken. You're tempting me to take my Macro off and try out the sigma 120 - 400mm I've recently purchased.
09-10-2010, 02:48 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tamia Quote
Love this series -- the quality of the light, the colors, and especially the heat shimmer and hazy bridge. I can almost smell the water.
thanks tamia... i'll remember these when it's about 8 degrees out and i'm slipping on the ice dave m

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Nice shots and well taken. You're tempting me to take my Macro off and try out the sigma 120 - 400mm I've recently purchased.
go for it.... try shooting around f8, or f9.... and if it's sunny about iso 200....i've found that with my sigma 400mm prime... it's a 'sweet' spot..... thanks .... dave m

09-11-2010, 05:17 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
these are good photos, but to make them better you should photoshop out the birds. then the focus would stay on the kayakers. the birds are distracting. you know, too much pull away from the subject, the kayakers.