Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Water Birds
Lens: Sears 80-200 f4 Camera: K-x Photo Location: Louisiana ISO: 200 
Posted By: Paleo Pete, 09-08-2010, 04:11 PM

Monday wasn't looking good, all afternoon at a local Wildlife Management Area on the pier, nature trails and photo blind hadn't gotten me a dozen pictures yet, When this Great White Egret landed 25-30 feet from the pier. They NEVER get that close...never...so of course I took advantage of the situation...

This is a 3072x2688 crop resized to 1024x768.

Click the picture to view larger size.

This is a 1024x768 crop of just its head, no editing other than crop and resize done on it, the first picture may have had 15% sharpening, I can't remember, but I got 15 keepers or more and only 3 took a bit of sharpening, no other editing was needed.

Earlier that morning on Bayou Bonne Idee (bone eyedee is the proper French pronunciation, the local rednecks all call it "bonniddy") this Green Heron was standing below the bridge no more than 20 feet away, bad lighting but I still got a decent shot...also the Sears 80-200 lens.

EDIT: I put a couple more shots of the Egret in my gallery. Sorry about the bold text, I can't see the code to remove it...

Last edited by Paleo Pete; 09-08-2010 at 04:30 PM.
Views: 1,505
09-08-2010, 04:50 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am so new (don't even have my camera yet), I know nothing about taking good photos, but I just wanted to say, I actually really like the last photo with the "bad lighting". It's my favorite of the three. The way the water is sort of green/gold, and the way the light is hitting the bird. I love it.
09-08-2010, 05:20 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
That's why I posted it. I always try for back lit pictures, most are crap but one turns out really good now and then. You can't see it from this picture, but the water was in a small area with very little current and lots of trash, pollen and muck floating on top, nasty looking water, but the reflection of the sunlight mostly obscures that. You also can't see much detail of the bird, but the way the light accents the picture also counteracts that...I knew this would be a tough picture before shooting it, and grabbed a dozen shots at different apertures and shutter speeds. The first one turned out to be the best, this one.

I hope you like your camera when you get it, and hope you get some shots you really like.