Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Lobster buoys
Posted By: regken, 12-01-2006, 10:34 AM

Hi,
The lobstermen of Maine use great colors on their buoys. I am trying to capture this in photos and don't feel I'm getting it done. A fishing area that is crowded with buoys from 20 different guys is a site to see. Each lobsterman has his own colors and pattern on the buoys. This photo is a pile of traps and buoys that will be set in the morning. Any feedback you can give me on how to better show this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Ken

Last edited by regken; 12-11-2006 at 03:23 PM.
Views: 2,056
12-01-2006, 11:23 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Lots of color here to work with. What seems predominate is an almost blue haze. I don't know what photo editing software you have but if you have any to work with that allows you to selectively edit colors you might want to do a numbef of things. First make a copy so you don't mess with your original because you are going to experiment and you may want to toss some of them. Pull back your blues with an adjustment, increase your contrast, but only on the lower portion of the photo by masking so you don't blow out the already overstressed highlights in the background, increase your black point via curves slightly, carefully boost your saturation not more than 20%, if that. One thing that may have helped when you shot this one could have been the use of a couple of filters, polarizer and a graduated ND filter. You can simulate these ND somewhat by making an adjustment layer with a black to nothing gradient (black top, nothing bottom) and change the adjustment layer mode to overlay. Reduce the opacity to taste. Sharpen a little to bring out the ropes and crates. Hope this helped some.
12-01-2006, 12:42 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Take a look at it now. managed to get rid of the blue haze but I think it needs more work.
ken
12-01-2006, 12:44 PM   #4
Veteran Member

It does look better then before

12-01-2006, 01:25 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Was going to send you an e-mail but you have checked that you don't want to receive e-mails. Have a sample for you. What would you like me to do.
12-01-2006, 02:30 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Clarence,
Sorry, Didn't know I blocked my email. Just changed the settings and also sent you an email.
Regards,
ken
12-02-2006, 02:49 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Ken, your PP on this looks pretty good. The magentas are not blown and the blacks are solid. You have brought forth the colors of the cords on the traps behind nicely and the ropes have more definition and separation from the background colors.