Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Photographic accidents
Posted By: Chako, 09-01-2007, 02:00 PM

I apologize right now, as the following photo was done on my 20D. However, I would be curious to see other photographic accidents that actually turned out for the best, if you have any?

Here is what I mean. I was composing on the back building, one of the historical canal buildings that surround the Locks at Sault Ste Marie. I framed the image and just as I took the photo, I briefly saw something fly across the viewfinder image. By the time I looked up, the duck was long gone back into the canal and out of sight. I only knew what I got once I reviewed the image back home (I rarely look at the LCD in the field).

I consider this a happy accident lol. It gave a dull boring scene some spice. Just in case your curious, the lens was the Tamron 90mm f/2.8 SP Di Macro.

Any comments and criticisms are always welcome. If you have any of these "accidents" happen to you, feel free to post them with your story if you would like to.
Views: 1,889
09-01-2007, 04:21 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I got out of the truck earlier this year to scout a section of river to fish. The water was to low at the spot but as I was looking around this guy hopped by me at the water's edge and froze. I had my camera around my neck so I got down to his level, laying in the water with my waders on. I took a few shots and slowly moved to his other side. I took a few more shots before Spike ran right in front of me scaring the critter off. I never saw the hitch hiker till I developed the picture:-).

I posted this before but I couldn't resist having another go.

Oh, btw, great shot Chako!
09-01-2007, 04:43 PM   #3

This was supposed to be a pic of the Snowy Egret, but the swallow really wanted to be part of the picture, too.

Last edited by Mile High; 12-31-2008 at 03:48 PM.
09-01-2007, 05:20 PM   #4
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
(a re-work of something from my introductory thread)
I'm out taking shots of the Lillis in my front yard, learning how to use my camera having had it only a few weeks. I was focused on our orange flowers, and felt there was too much shade on the blood-red ones so didn't give it any mind.

Then...
a) I notice the sun or clouds seems to have shifted and there's some light on the red ones.
b) I notice an unusual looking bug walking down into the lilli (is it a bee? It seems to have a hard exoskeleton like an ant, in metalic green. ) I figure, ooh, I gotta catch this.
c) I take a pic that's underexposed; fine, it's not film so I can change settings. But then realize why. There's a ray of light shining through the leaves of the Dogwood tree above the blood-red Lillis, with the light moving over the lilli as the wind blows. I had set exposure when there was light, and motion of the leaves above had hidden the light when I clicked the shutter.
d) I say "hey, what if I set exposure to what I think should work, and lock it, and focus to the center spot, and let the camera pick the ISO" (love Pentax's unique TAv mode) ... then wait and wait to time the shot to when the wind blows the tree's branches and lights up the center of the Lilli...

So while this shot is not completely accidental and there was some [very quick] realizations and edification leading to quick pre-meditation to snapping this shot, the conditions were certainly nothing I planned for and its evolution was completely spur of the moment ... serendipity:

(you may click the pic to load the img page and have a look @ the original ... I was floored as one of my first few dozen images taken!)

I had been thinking 'serendipity' would make a good Weekly Challenge...

09-01-2007, 06:19 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
sweet pic's and stories.

I've had several accidents, you mightr remember these 2 since they were recent.

Seagull from a couple of weeks ago.

created by seeing it fly, raising the camera snapping the pic and hoping for the best.

The same sort of thing with this Osprey last week.

when I was photographing it's children in the nest and he suddenly went by.
09-02-2007, 09:18 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Those are very nice photos. Thanks for sharing.