Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
W I D E Pentax 12-24
Posted By: daacon, 09-01-2007, 05:32 PM

Well I went down to the local camera shop today. Was totally disgusted with what my Sigma's went for as a trade in (about 1/3 what I paid) and in protest I bought the Pentax DA 12-24 - I wanted a wide angle and now I am only missing the Bigma or something similar. I am very happy with the lens so far. These are all right out the camera no PP at all . Also with the birght daylight used a Kenko Wideband Polarized filter. First time with this set up CC always welcome.

Lookup up way up ...

Right into the Sun

City Skyline

City and River

Like the colors and shadows on this one

Thanks for looking.
Views: 2,057
09-01-2007, 05:39 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Edmonton rising?

#2 shows that the lens handles flare very well.
09-01-2007, 07:08 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Prior to reading your post, I thought I had beaten LBA on this lens. But seeing your photos has brought the addiction back in full force. They all are fine photos, but my favorite is the first. Awesome perspective! I would be interested in learning more about your experiences with the lens. Thanks for sharing.
09-01-2007, 09:00 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Whenever I make it back to Edmonton I've got to go through the Muttart Conservatory again.
Its sure picturesque.

Nice pictures, I'll have to look at that lens when I'm ready for a wide angle.

09-02-2007, 06:48 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tranq78 Quote
Edmonton rising?

#2 shows that the lens handles flare very well.
Thanks tranq78 - and yes indeed that is Edmonton in the background. These shots were taken (as Stu also noticed) from the Muttart Conservatory area (there are paths leading accross the river) and Edmonton Alberta Legislature grounds. I think the filter helped with the flaring as well.

QuoteOriginally posted by Wethphotography Quote
Prior to reading your post, I thought I had beaten LBA on this lens. But seeing your photos has brought the addiction back in full force. They all are fine photos, but my favorite is the first. Awesome perspective! I would be interested in learning more about your experiences with the lens. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks Erl - I was debating on the Sigma 10-20 and the Pentax - The Sigma was a few sheckles cheaper. We have a couple winter getaways planed and I wanted a wide angle and a Bigma - one down . It sure is wide , you really notice when taking close ups of something - you are right on top of it and still have a full view. Feel free to pm me anytime with any questions you have about the lens - so far in my very limited usage (1 day) I like it allot.

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
Whenever I make it back to Edmonton I've got to go through the Muttart Conservatory again.
Its sure picturesque.

Nice pictures, I'll have to look at that lens when I'm ready for a wide angle.
Thanks Stu - while I have been inside the Muttart Conservetory before this is the first time I walked around down there and noticed several trails that offer some nice panaromic shots of the city.
11-24-2007, 11:59 AM   #6
Inactive Account

great photos!

quick question: is t here a difference between wideband polarizer and polarizer filters or are they the same?

tia
11-24-2007, 12:15 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kww_2007 Quote
great photos!

quick question: is t here a difference between wideband polarizer and polarizer filters or are they the same?

tia
Thanks kww - If there is a difference (as this is the first polarized filter I have purchased) it may be that it is very thin and was a bit on the $$ side. I wanted as thin a one as I could get. Others might know more.

11-24-2007, 03:18 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I've been using my 12-24 quite a bit lately (cars shows, architecture, etc) and like it more all the time. At first, I was disappointed that it underexposes about -1/2, but now I just add a little compensation and all is fine.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q78/KylePix/071103-0298T-28.jpg

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q78/KylePix/070811-8641BuildingWall.jpg

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q78/KylePix/071117-1235PorscheGT2.jpg

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q78/KylePix/071117-1242PorscheRSSpyderRear.jpg

Oh, and make sure the lens hood clicks into place or it will vignette at 12mm.

Last edited by SpecialK; 11-24-2007 at 11:25 PM.
11-24-2007, 04:26 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very nice lens Dave, pictures aren't that bad neither:-) but I don't need it, repeat: don't need it.....

Heinrich
11-24-2007, 09:13 PM   #10
Inactive Account

I love the first two pictures. They are amazing.
11-25-2007, 06:04 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Man this one was taken a while ago it has risen for some new comments I love it !

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I've been using my 12-24 quite a bit lately (cars shows, architecture, etc) and like it more all the time. At first, I was disappointed that it underexposes about -1/2, but now I just add a little compensation and all is fine.

Oh, and make sure the lens hood clicks into place or it will vignette at 12mm.
I agree yeah Lens Hood is key - nice shots Love the plane and Porche

QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
Very nice lens Dave, pictures aren't that bad neither:-) but I don't need it, repeat: don't need it.....

Heinrich
Thanks Henirich - need ?? I am not familiar with this word and how it affects LBA - now the word want

QuoteOriginally posted by tux08902 Quote
I love the first two pictures. They are amazing.
Thanks tux - the first one is my favorite