Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Airpower over the Midwest
Posted By: Raylon, 09-11-2010, 07:50 PM

Here are some pictures I took today at Airpower Over the Midwest, an air show at Scott Air Force Base in Southern Illinois. I was using a manual focus 70-210mm Sigma lens I got on eBay for $18. I had lens envy seeing so many 2 foot long lenses the Canikoners were using, but for IQ/dollar, I think i win that ratio. BTW the entire day, out of the probably 1000 photographers I saw, only one man was using a Pentax besides me. This lens takes some amazing photos. Even though I can't shoot at 8fps like most of them were, I still got some good ones. I hope you enjoy. To see full gallery, go to link below.

Airpower Over the Midwest 2010 - rynwohld's Photos

Attached Images

Views: 3,965
09-14-2010, 01:08 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Please forgive my rudeness. I just have to ask if the concentric circles effect in many of the first set of images is due to brightening compensations in post processing?

09-14-2010, 03:23 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Very very nice... especially considering the lenses. Further proof that "it aint the gear... it's the guy usin' it!"

Tis the season for AIR SHOWS! Yeehaw!

Mike
09-16-2010, 10:52 AM   #18
Raylon

QuoteOriginally posted by Nowhere Matt Quote
Please forgive my rudeness. I just have to ask if the concentric circles effect in many of the first set of images is due to brightening compensations in post processing?

No worries, be as rude as you'd like! But no, these photos were not PPed at all except for a crop. Take a look a the Blue Angels picture below, it is the same as one of my first pictures. I think it is just a combo of the lens and the way I exported low quality versions out of Aperture that these rings formed.

http://rynwohld.smugmug.com/Airplanes/Airpower-Over-the-Midwest-2010/IMGP311...23_L3djN-O.jpg

EDIT: And after looking side-by-side, the colors are really different. Odd.
09-16-2010, 10:54 AM   #19
Raylon

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Very very nice... especially considering the lenses. Further proof that "it aint the gear... it's the guy usin' it!"

Tis the season for AIR SHOWS! Yeehaw!

Mike
Thanks a bunch Riley, that means a bunch coming from you! I don't consider myself any good at photography, just lucky! As my photography professor said, the photo gods were looking down on me with favor that day.

10-10-2010, 04:34 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I'm pretty excited by the quality of shots you got with your Sigma 70-210. I think I may have just purchased the same lens you have, at about the same price. Is this it? Sigma 70-210 F/4-5.6 Lense Pouch Boxed - Pentax - eBay (item 350400309805 end time Oct-09-10 19:37:52 PDT)

It's not listed in the Lens database, and I can't find much info at all online about it.

Edit: I found photos of the lens on your smugmug.com site. I'm reasonably certain the lens I just bought is the same as your (now former?) lens.

Last edited by Designosophy; 10-10-2010 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Found new information