Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Backyard Birding DA 55-300mm style
Lens: Da 55-300 Camera: K20d Photo Location: Saugus Ma. ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/500s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: charliezap, 09-13-2010, 08:10 AM

Today I'm staying home from work.My property is being completely stripped and will be completely redone in a week or so.Before and after pics will eventually be posted.My poor wife keeps looking out the window fearful that they will bulldoze the gas line So today gives me some free time to post some shots taken with my DA 55-300 that I shot yesterday.With all the action going on outside there aren't any birds by the feeders today.--charliezap

Last edited by charliezap; 01-21-2012 at 08:45 AM.
Views: 2,040
09-13-2010, 08:19 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nice series- love the colors! Good detail, too!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-13-2010, 09:09 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

wonderful captures charlie... those pentax colors are terrific.. crisp definition to boot.... guess that new lens is making you a happy camper.... knew it would..... congrats.... dave m
09-13-2010, 12:05 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
wonderful captures charlie... those pentax colors are terrific.. crisp definition to boot.... guess that new lens is making you a happy camper.... knew it would..... congrats.... dave m
Thanks Dave--The more that I use it the better I like it.I put my like new Quantaray lens in it's original box to sell with UV filter probably for $90. It takes great pics and I think it's a good deal.---charliezap

09-13-2010, 12:45 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Great shots..... Flash or no flash?

C. Durfor
09-13-2010, 02:28 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cdurfor Quote
Great shots..... Flash or no flash?

C. Durfor
The shots were taken without the flash---charliezap
09-13-2010, 02:39 PM   #7

Wow, very pretty. Any idea what that third bird is? Gorgeous colors int hose feathers.

09-13-2010, 03:52 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by suliabryon Quote
Wow, very pretty. Any idea what that third bird is? Gorgeous colors int hose feathers.
The third bird is a commen grackle. They are pretty when the light hits them in a certain way and they are pigs at the feeder and scare the other smaller birds away.When the cold weather sets in they disappear until late spring.--charliezap
09-13-2010, 08:00 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
The third bird is a commen grackle. They are pretty when the light hits them in a certain way and they are pigs at the feeder and scare the other smaller birds away.When the cold weather sets in they disappear until late spring.--charliezap
Well, you certainly wouldn't guess the bird's bullying, unflattering nature by those pretty rainbow colors! We have bully birds like that here, too, called starlings. But they are plain and gray/brown.
09-14-2010, 02:55 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by suliabryon Quote
Well, you certainly wouldn't guess the bird's bullying, unflattering nature by those pretty rainbow colors! We have bully birds like that here, too, called starlings. But they are plain and gray/brown.
I have starlings here also.They are a very drab bird and indeed can be a nuisance.--charliezap
09-14-2010, 03:09 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I rather like the grackles and crows myself. In terms of bullying and thieving they're nothing compared to the gulls and we tons of both around here. They don't go away here. They stay all year. We have huge flocks of birds, year round, quite a variety, but you seldom see colorful ones like the cardinals and the like. Lots of prey birds, doves, pigeons, small dull-feathered birds mostly, sea birds, and the corvis birds. You see a bird with bright feathers it's usually some kind of wild parrot or parakeet. We supposedly have a number of those here now. There are a few colonies around but generally you don't see them. They're out farther, away from people.