Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Pentaxians love gadgets
Lens: DA 55-300mm Camera: k20d Photo Location: saugus ISO: 400 
Posted By: charliezap, 09-13-2010, 10:28 AM

I love gadgets and I'm sure that many Pentaxians do also.This wireless weather station does everything and holds the information in its memory for just about every category shown on the main unit.The unit originally sold for almost $100 and when I went to Lowe's a month ago they were on clearance for $25.Some of the reviews on this unit are not good and some are great but my unit works flawlessly and I'm very pleased with it so far. The model # of mine is 00595-RX and it even interfaces with my Acurite wireless rain gage that I had for many years.I took the main unit and walked over 200ft up the street and the signal icons were right up there so I guess that I got a good copy of this weather station.Maybe using lithium batteries in the main unit and sensors are key for performance.So if you like this kind of stuff checkit out.You can always return it.Doing this thread gave me an excuse to use my DA 55-300mm--charliezap

Last edited by charliezap; 01-21-2012 at 08:46 AM.
Views: 1,830
09-13-2010, 12:00 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow, and you get wind speed, too? That's something!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-13-2010, 02:32 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Wow, and you get wind speed, too? That's something!
It's one of the best bang for the bucks that I got in awhile.Daily records keep for 6days back and max min records stay until you reset them.--charliezap
09-13-2010, 05:00 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I just looked at my instruction booklet and the printing date data is---00595 INST 11-09-09.So if you see one of these units for sale open the box and check the date on the booklet and you will be able to ascertain if you have the latest version of this weather machine.---charliezap

09-13-2010, 05:04 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have the same unit, it loves lithium batteries, wind speed has always been flaky unfortunately.
09-13-2010, 05:04 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I am not really into gadgets (so I claim!) but this is pretty amazing for 25 bucks.
09-13-2010, 05:14 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
I have the same unit, it loves lithium batteries, wind speed has always been flaky unfortunately.
The wind speed on mine seems to work well.I have it mounted on a pole 6ft over the top of the house
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
I am not really into gadgets (so I claim!) but this is pretty amazing for 25 bucks.
I think that the $25 price is by the boards but I've seen it on line for $50 or more which is still a good price providing you get the latest model.--charliezap

09-13-2010, 07:35 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Hi Charlie, that blows that old heath-kit away, like playin with that stuff myself.
Mag called circut cellar has some pretty good stuff on lightning detectors if your interested. One that I seen has up to 100 mile range, cheap, safe home brew thing
09-13-2010, 11:39 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BillM Quote
Hi Charlie, that blows that old heath-kit away, like playin with that stuff myself.
Mag called circut cellar has some pretty good stuff on lightning detectors if your interested. One that I seen has up to 100 mile range, cheap, safe home brew thing
Maybe you or someone reading this thread may know.At work on a certain day we have a ritual that is a spin off on the proverbial "message in a bottle"What we do is launch industrial strenght ballons with a message in a clear plastic bottle telling the finder to call us and report where it was found.So far no one has
called.We were toying with the idea of adding a tracking chip to see how far our experiment travels.Bottom line--does anyone know of an outfit that could provide us with that service for short money--$100 or so? Our dream is to buy the service and track the ballon by computer with a designated chip number that would give us all the GPS info that we wanted.Being on the coast here just North of Boston Ma. the winds most of the time take the ballons out to sea and the "message" comes down in the ocean.Any ideas?---charliezap
09-14-2010, 04:58 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I'dLove to do something like that with my grand-daughter, charlie. there are some
proto-type kits availible, incorperate GPS for as little as $40. Seen a Garmin wrist
type unit at a grocery store last year for $29, perfectly suited.
Dont have much on disk here but few places come to mind....
Parallax
Microchip
Digi-key
Mag (Circut Cellar) always has stuff in back related
Remember x-ray glasses on bubble gum wrappers? thats them grown up kinda
Was tremendous thread here earlier in year, folks launching ballons to amazing heights
collecting data and photographing, literally, on shoestring budget.
radio control people are doing amazing things with telemetry these days, might be something there

Suppose alot depends on person at other end too, lot of good people in this world tho.
see what else I can come up with
Bill