Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Double Rainbow
Lens: 18-55mm Camera: Pentax K-x Photo Location: West Virginia ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/2000s Aperture: F3.5 
Posted By: JoshRead, 09-14-2010, 08:56 AM

Name:  Double Rainbow.jpg
Views: 21341
Size:  54.7 KB

I wish I could've gotten a better picture, but it was still really cool and I haven't seen one that I can think of in real life.

Views: 7,171
09-14-2010, 09:06 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I dont think I have ever seen a full rainbow let alone a double one. I have only been fortunate enough to see some partials. It must have been pretty exciting to see this in person
09-14-2010, 07:42 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pretty bows. For those who don't know or didn't notice, the color sequence in the weaker, secondary rainbow are always in reverse sequence, i.e., the secondary is a mirror image of the brighter primary. GOOGLE for an explanation of the physics involved.
09-15-2010, 04:40 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery

Had to be posted.

09-15-2010, 04:51 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The physics involved are actually pretty simple. Rainbows form when light reflects once in a water droplet then exits it. The droplet acts as a prism (think "Dark side of the Moon") and distributes the colours.

A double rainbow occurs when there is a DOUBLE reflection inside the droplets. The same process occurs, but because of the double reflection, the order of the colours is reversed.

Actually, there is always a second raibow, but most of the time it's extremely hard to see because it's much less bright (sometimes also, the angle from the Sun relative to the viewer makes it impossible to see from specific viewpoints).

What's cool is going THROUGH a rainbow. I did that once on a lake. It seems the rainbow is moving away from you, until at one point it dissolves when you get "past" it.

There's no pot of gold at the bottom of rainbows, sadly.