09-03-2007, 01:24 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Don't think so...

I'm pretty sure that's a male.

Anyone else???
09-03-2007, 01:56 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Roy is probably right. It's most likely a female. Healthy males typically have bright red colors, while the females often have subdued colors like this. The name comes from the males, whose colors are reminiscent of the bright red robes worn by Catholic Cardinals.

Kentucky's State Bird: The Cardinal - Kentucky Department for Libraries and Archives
"The male cardinal is bright red with a tufted head (crest) and black mask. In winter, the color of a male cardinal fades, then brightens during molting in the spring in order to attract a mate. Studies show that females prefer the brightest and reddest males; presumably the hue and intensity of color are indications of the male's fitness. Females are olive-brown with reddish wings and/or tail, and also have a crest and black mask. The drab color helps the female be camouflaged from predators, especially during the nesting season."

By the way, very nice picture, Roy. The females are often very skittish, making them harder to photograph. This one, on the other hand, seems to be almost proudly posing for you.

stewart

Last edited by stewart_photo; 09-03-2007 at 02:05 PM. Reason: clarification
09-03-2007, 02:55 PM   #4
Inactive Account

I'm with Tom on this one. There are a couple of give-aways. One is the is the black beak. Mature males and females have a light coloured beak. Secondly, females generally only have the red feathers on the wings and tail, not on the head or breast. It looks like he is molting out of his 'baby' plumage and slowly developing the characteristic all-over bright red appearance.

This is most likely an juvenile male.

Last edited by J.Scott; 09-03-2007 at 03:03 PM.
09-03-2007, 04:23 PM   #5
roy
Inactive Account

Original Poster
OK guys. i know a ornithologist . i think its a female BUT i do have a lot of fledgings around.
anyway around here there are many of them but getting a printable shot of one is da!! near impossible. i'm batting about 3 out of 200.. i'll get back with the correct ID.
09-03-2007, 04:27 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Does look more like a youngster, roy.
09-03-2007, 04:57 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I thought it was a young one also... but wasn't sure if cardinals were just more scruffier lookin' in Texas

The ones we have in our yard are SO flighty it would be darn near impossible to get a decent shot of them without a reallllllllly long zoom.

09-03-2007, 05:35 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looks like a youngun to me, after a long Labor Day weekend:-).
09-03-2007, 08:05 PM   #9
roy
Inactive Account

Original Poster
well poop!
he can't id it for sure. young female or molting male.
it's okay tho. i'm shooting these for results at about 3% for print..
09-03-2007, 09:05 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I'm with Tom on this one also. It's a immature male in the molting state. He'll look alot better in a week or two. The black beak gives it away---Mature male have a red beak.

Last edited by kent vinyard; 09-03-2007 at 09:07 PM. Reason: ad to quote
09-04-2007, 04:30 AM   #11
roy
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lapeen Quote
I thought it was a young one also... but wasn't sure if cardinals were just more scruffier lookin' in Texas

The ones we have in our yard are SO flighty it would be darn near impossible to get a decent shot of them without a reallllllllly long zoom.
well, i'll just classify it as an IT then. lapeen, you're correct, these are tough ones to get. almost impossible.. it still goes in the print folder. maybe it a hermaphrodite?? i've seen it three times in dogs..

roy
09-05-2007, 11:31 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by roy Quote
well poop!
he can't id it for sure. young female or molting male.
it's okay tho. i'm shooting these for results at about 3% for print..

Read the Kentucky website linked to above and the paragraph quoted. Both the female and male have the black face (they call it a mask). As far as I know, the female's beak can range from yellow to black (and even pale red) with only the male having the bright red beak. The paragraph also says the male "brightens during molting in the spring in order to attract a mate." This bird is clearly molting, but obviously not brightening (hence female).

The adult male has no brownish colors, while this bird clearly has brown feathers. According to this web site...

Cardinal (bird) - MSN Encarta

"Females and young of this species are buffy brown, with touches of red on the crest, wings, tail, and breast."

I still say what we're looking at here is a molting brown female, with the normal tinges of red on the wings, tail, and breast.

Of course, since none of us are going to climb around in the trees to have a closer inspection, I'll have to leave it at that.

stewart