Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
My Bigma goes to the zoo....
Posted By: mikerigel, 09-03-2007, 02:42 PM

First real occasion to use this new lens this weekend.. I'm pretty happy with its performance, I did wish a couple times it was a stop faster at the long end but no big deal here. After carrying it all day on the K10 around my neck, I can tell you this is one heavy combo!
Anyways, here's a few shots.

1/750s f/5.6 at 190.0mm iso400

1/2000s f/5.6 at 190.0mm iso400

1/350s f/6.7 at 500.0mm iso400

1/250s f/6.7 at 115.0mm iso200

1/125s f/6.7 at 420.0mm iso400

Sorry for the noise on some of them, I didn't take the time to clean them out yet. with this lens being a little slow at the end, I do wish we had a cleaner ISO400 on the K10D...
Views: 1,428
09-03-2007, 02:49 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Good to see some Aussies in there ... typical roo sleeping in the middle of the day.
09-03-2007, 06:21 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mechan1k Quote
Good to see some Aussies in there ... typical roo sleeping in the middle of the day.
Hi Simon, there was 3 of them and they were all sleeping!
09-03-2007, 06:22 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

All great pictures. Being from Idaho I don't often see many pictures of kangaroos. To me that is an amazing picture, his posture and all. Does anybody ever raise them from, uh, babies, and make pets of them? I hate to sound dumb but I know little of them except for the typical stereotype stuff. From studying this pic, he doesn't look like he's interested in anyone's agenda but his own.

I mean, are kangaroos anything like horses? Could you pet that guy? Would he come to you?

09-03-2007, 06:27 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Nice Bigma shots. I really need to get out more with my bigma. the past few days have been nothing but working on the pool filter. Maybe I should post some photos of the concrete slab we just poured for the new filter......
09-03-2007, 06:50 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Eaglerapids Quote
All great pictures. Being from Idaho I don't often see many pictures of kangaroos. To me that is an amazing picture, his posture and all. Does anybody ever raise them from, uh, babies, and make pets of them? I hate to sound dumb but I know little of them except for the typical stereotype stuff. From studying this pic, he doesn't look like he's interested in anyone's agenda but his own.

I mean, are kangaroos anything like horses? Could you pet that guy? Would he come to you?
Only widlife rescue shelters raise them from joeys (usually after the Mother has been killed on the road) .... but not as pets that I know of.

They can be approachable though ... and I remember patting one when I went to a wildlife sanctuary when I was young ... but need to be careful when they have young around ... as they can attack.

They aren't domesticated really. And further out in the bush are more of a pest than anything. It's dangerous driving around dusk and dawn further out in the bush ... they can jump out in front of you without warning from out of the scrub.

If you hit one of the big Red Kangaroos (2m + tall) with your car ... they'll usually flip over and they come through your windscreen feet first. their claws are extremely sharp and have been known to kick people to death if you don't get out of the car in time.

Saw a picture of a Ford Falcon ute with the interior shredded from a roo after it kept kicking ... the driver and passenger get out with deep scratches though.

Although ... the golf course I had my wedding reception at ... they had a colony of approximately 1,000 roos ... and increasing ... as it is a sheltered environment for them ... and the owners were not allowed to cull them ... they have stayed and grown in numbers. I might head out there soon and take the camera and see what I can get.
09-03-2007, 08:16 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Great shots Mike I love #1 and #2 3,4,5 are pretty good as well. Every time I see shots with this Lens .... I just want it.

09-03-2007, 08:26 PM   #8

Beautiful!

Sadly, this lens is no longer available in our mount. So I purchased a 50-135mm today....but this SIGMA is a really nice piece of gear!
09-03-2007, 09:10 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxshooter Quote
Beautiful!

Sadly, this lens is no longer available in our mount. So I purchased a 50-135mm today....but this SIGMA is a really nice piece of gear!
Bigma not available for Pentax anymore? Hmmmm good thing I just got mine a few weeks ago. Dont tell B&H that its no longer available. They have it listed as "In Stock"
09-04-2007, 12:24 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Kangaroos

hello Eaglerapids
Actually orphaned baby kangaroos (Joeys) are often raised by hand by special carers.
However, they aren't easily domesticated, in fact, I believe it is not legal to keep them as a pet, but only at licensed sanctuaries, zoos etc.
The large kangaroos (Red Kanagroos) up to 5 or 6 feet tall) can be rather dangerous and there are many cases of tourists etc being attcked by them??
Reason unknown, but it is the exception rather than the rule. They are very common here and often seen in large numbers. They are a nuisance at the botanic gardens where I work. I believe that great photo is a Red Kangaroo. Small kangaroos and wallabies often can be petted.
Hope this a bit enlightening for you
09-04-2007, 05:45 AM   #11
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxshooter Quote
Beautiful!

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Hyde Quote
Bigma not available for Pentax anymore? Hmmmm good thing I just got mine a few weeks ago. Dont tell B&H that its no longer available. They have it listed as "In Stock"
Great shots. That 'Roo' is a fantastic close up, what a face! The ostrich is only a face a mother could possibly love. Good compostion and exposures on all.

The Sigma USA site still lists the lens in Pentax mount and my local dealer shows that he can still order it. So I'm not sure that you couldn't still get this lens. If your looking for it I think it's well worth it.
The pictures above are all great and I use mine on a regular basis with (I think) great results. It might be a little slow on the long end but the majority of the time it performs very well.

For me I'm going to try and email Sigma and encourage them to add more Pentax mounts to the line or at least see if they will indicate where Pentax fits in the plans. I've heard that the K10D alone is selling 15,000 a month and I think that is enough to warrant some extra lens mounts.

If you feel like adding your voice here's the contact email address to Sigma USA. info@sigmaphoto.com and the 24 hour fax numbers:
Fax: (631) 585-1895, (631) 585-7661
09-04-2007, 06:00 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you all for your comments.
If that can helps, I bought mine at sigma4less.com and their site is still showing the lens in stock... it's even a bit cheaper than B&H at $959.
Pentaxshooter, you won't be disappointed with your DA 50-135mm anyway, it is my most used lens lately....