Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

First Editorial Shoot - WW2 Halifax Bomber
Posted By: Asad_Masede, 12-01-2006, 08:23 PM

My first images thread on this forum. So it begins. :-)

These images are from a few months back. I just never got a chance to post them anywhere or even upload some onto my online gallery. It was my first "editorial" shoot, started off as a "help" assignment but the photographer who I was helping ended up giving me 50% since many of my images were selected by the clients.

A combination of lenses were used with the K100D, DA16-45, Sigma 70-200/2.8 DG and FA31 Limited. Conversion from RAW was done using Adobe Lightroom BETA 4.1.

The shoot was of a restored World War II bomber, the Halifax. I believe there was a big deal (read media coverage) about the bringing up and restoration of this particular machine and it was all done by volunteers I think.

The other main subject of this shoot was Mr. Smith, former pilot of this plane, who flew sorties in it back in 1942.

Here's the Bomber:

No polarizer was used, clouds and a deep blue sky, what more does one need for a good airplane shoot:

Mr. Smith:

More of Mr. Smith:

Mr. Smith also decided to see if he could get up into the cockpit, and they did get him up there:

And it was decided that some of the best shots would be taken in the cockpit so I went up to do just that:

My poor 31 banged against the ladder a couple of times and my heart banged with it... but all was good when I examined the lens later. :-)
(person in the image was related to Mr. Smith I think)

Checking out other planes:

The rest of the images are here: Gallery Folder

Thanks for viewing, comments are very much appreciated.

Cheers!
-Asad
Views: 6,293
12-02-2006, 02:22 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roscot Quote
Hi Asad,
Beautiful series. Nicely done.

Love this one
http://gallery.photo.net/photo/5277722-lg.jpg
Hi Rosco, thanks for the compliment, yeah I kind of re-discovered that one when I was uploading and processing them for the second time.

Cheers!
-Asad

12-02-2006, 02:24 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dr Windmill Quote
Hello, Asad,

I have always admired your work . . . to the point of envy for the way you achieve the three dimensional effect. The whole series, including those in the gallery, is a powerful one. I particularly liked the story and character you captured in the face of Mr. Smith. Thank you,

Regards,
Lawrence
Hi Lawrence, thanks a lot for the kind compliment. :-)

Glad you enjoy my images and hope to keep it up and keep posting.

Cheers!
-Asad
12-04-2006, 03:23 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Excellent Asad....love that prop shot.
12-04-2006, 02:10 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Interesting series and some great shots! I have two favourites: the prop shot and the last one, with Mr.Smith leaving the scene...
Thanks for sharing!