Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
f1.7
Lens: A50mm1.7 Camera: K10D Photo Location: China Aperture: F1.7 
Posted By: kevinschoenmakers, 09-18-2010, 03:22 AM

All photos were made with the A50mm1.7 at f1.7 (except for the first one, which was f2.4 by accident). It proved quite difficult to get the focus right, but the burst mode helped a lot.

Views: 1,957
09-18-2010, 05:03 AM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Keep at it Kevin.
These are lovely poses from a very photogenic model.
But only perhaps two of these portraits got focus right on where it should be.
All others are off but would have been just awesome if the focus was nailed.
I'd therefore suggest definitely stopping down in these instances, particularly with such close focusing distances...
09-18-2010, 05:27 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I like the fourth shot, and to me, the slight out-of-focus rather than distracting adds a sense of spontaneity - a quick grab of a fleeting expression rather than a planned & posed shot.
09-18-2010, 05:52 AM   #4
Forum Member

I guess maybe I'm still too new at this, but I don't see where you "missed" the focus. I think these are really lovely shots. A nice variety of lighting techniques and poses which show off your very pretty subject. I like them a lot!

09-18-2010, 06:44 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Nice series. I really like the expression on the #8.
09-18-2010, 06:46 AM   #6
axl
Veteran Member

second last is the best of the bunch IMO. great series nontheless...
09-18-2010, 08:38 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Keep at it Kevin.
These are lovely poses from a very photogenic model.
But only perhaps two of these portraits got focus right on where it should be.
All others are off but would have been just awesome if the focus was nailed.
I'd therefore suggest definitely stopping down in these instances, particularly with such close focusing distances...
I think you're right to a certain degree, though I do think 'getting the focus right' is somewhat overrated. Still, if anything, I learned from doing this series is that when you go beyond f2.4 things get way too tricky The amount of photos it took to get some of these shots right was just annoying.

My upgrade path is a body with AF microadjust (probably K-5), and then the DA70ltd so I won't have to bother with manual focus in combination with shallow DOF anymore.

09-18-2010, 08:49 AM   #8
Veteran Member

A nice set of close portraits, well done. I agree with Ash on the focus thing to a point, although it doesn't detract too much for me.
09-18-2010, 08:52 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by shellie Quote
I guess maybe I'm still too new at this, but I don't see where you "missed" the focus. I think these are really lovely shots. A nice variety of lighting techniques and poses which show off your very pretty subject. I like them a lot!
Thanks!

With potraits the focus is supposed to be on the eyes. As you can see in some, if not most, photos, the eyes aren't the sharpest part of the photo. See, for example, the last one.
09-18-2010, 09:16 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kevinschoenmakers Quote
I think you're right to a certain degree, though I do think 'getting the focus right' is somewhat overrated. Still, if anything, I learned from doing this series is that when you go beyond f2.4 things get way too tricky The amount of photos it took to get some of these shots right was just annoying.

My upgrade path is a body with AF microadjust (probably K-5), and then the DA70ltd so I won't have to bother with manual focus in combination with shallow DOF anymore.
Nice series. I like how you did it in B&W.
I have to agree with Ash and the DOF though. I don't do portrait that much ( only because my grandkids are 1000 miles away ) but recently had and experience playing with my new SMC A 50mm 1.4. I found at close focus there is just not enough DOF to get enough features in focus. Distance and aperture is very important. And depending on the pose of course, certain features should be in focus I think.
I am working with aging eyes also so I know what you mean. I have the O-ME53 that helps but a split screen also would be better.
09-18-2010, 09:29 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lovely series! And I agree with you on the focus issue.....
09-18-2010, 09:41 AM   #12
Veteran Member

very nice set and lovely model. I love how you handled the lighting
09-18-2010, 11:15 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Love the warm B&W. Congratulations!
09-18-2010, 01:04 PM   #14
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kevinschoenmakers Quote

I'm sure you'll enjoy that combination and use it to show off this model (and your great PP work) for years to come.
09-18-2010, 08:15 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
I'm sure you'll enjoy that combination and use it to show off this model (and your great PP work) for years to come.
Oh, I will