Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Early returns from Oceania Air Show
Lens: Da300mm Camera: K200D Photo Location: VA Beach ISO: 200 Aperture: F8 
Posted By: cdurfor, 09-18-2010, 07:22 PM

Just thought I'd put up a few of my early returns as I process on through from today's Air Show. Much thanks to all who offered advice on my first Air show shoot. This was fantastic fun. It may get me to forsake shooting birds abit. Anyway, let me know what you think. Also the last shot was very instructive for me. The only way to shoot prop planes is at 1/200 sec. Then you get that wonderful prop blur. Thanks again for that prospective advice folks..

P.S. The F22 display was cancelled after only one pass, something about machanical problems. Also I hope these aren't too nasty. I'm Photoshopping on a 10 year old laptop whose monitor may not be very calibrated...

Views: 1,498
09-18-2010, 08:06 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
First airshow hey? Those first 2 shots of the Blue Angels are stunning IMO.
In the last shot, apart from the Corsair - what are the other 2 planes?

With that last shot I can see quite a few dust spots. Easy to clone out though. And you could probably push the exposure a bit more if you wanted to, to show more detail in the planes.
What did you think of the 300mm focal length?

cheers
09-18-2010, 08:42 PM   #3
Inactive Account

I have to agree with goddo - those first two F/A-18 shots are perfect. I especially like the second one.

I'm going to guess that those are Grumman F8F Bearcats in the last shot. Hard to be sure from that angle though.
09-18-2010, 08:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Like this stuff better than ice cream, thinking maybe F4U flanked by F6F's,Goddo.
Wonderful job mr.c, thanks for the peek.

09-19-2010, 05:11 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great shots so far Chuck. Looking forward to more. Shame about the F22. Are you going back to the show today? May be worth it just for the Raptor if she flies today.

Mike
09-19-2010, 01:37 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hey Folks thanks so much for being gentle on my first time...

Anyway yes the two planes flanking the Cousair are Bearcats. Now I know understand why Mike suggested that the DA300mm is not the ultimate lens for airshows. A fixed distance lens just does not suit all situations. A BIGMA would have offered close up shots (like planes taxiing to take off) and the far distant shots as well..

Anyway with the 300mm I learned to pick my spots, which worked well with the broken cover. Many more to come (that are better). Oh, today was skip the airshow and instead Lee and I got a wonderful 2 hour eagle show at Jamestown. I'm looking forward to seeing his work, especially after carrying his 400mm / f2.8 and tripod out on the field.

Once again thanks to all.. This BBS has taught me so much!
09-19-2010, 03:22 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

First two shots are knock outs - great job.

Jer