Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  
Hummingbird Paradise (?) with the FA* 250-600mm/5.6
Posted By: Marc Langille, 09-19-2010, 06:50 PM

Obviously I say the subject of this post with a bit of tongue in cheek, but I’ve never seen the quantity of hummingbirds anywhere else in our region.

Even the hummingbird feeder manufacturer staff couldn’t believe the numbers when I spoke about it. Normally seven (7) 32 oz. Feeders are emptied by the hummingbirds on a daily basis. That's a lot of sugar water... The numbers have tapered off just a bit after the very hot, humid weather, but I can still see up to 15-20 birds at a time - normally saw 25-30 during the hottest part of the summer. This is the garden I’ve always wanted to attract these little aerial acrobats is well established and the plant choices have not disappointed either!

All images have some cropping, but are never smaller than 2450 - 2500 pixels on the long side, since most subject shots were approx. 15 - 17 feet away @ 600mm. I intentionally setup a bit further away to ensure that they'd perch more often. Eventually I'll get in a bit closer, but that's where having a zoom is incredibly useful, since the FOV @ 600mm is very small.

On Alert:

EXIF

Serenity:

EXIF

Eyeballing the Prize:

EXIF

Success:

EXIF

Observation Post:

EXIF

I plan to devote a fair bit of time whenever possible in the coming weeks to photographing them, since they'll be departing by around mid-October unless the warmer weather continues past that time frame.

I hope you enjoy this series - more to come!

Regards,
Marc

Last edited by Marc Langille; 09-21-2010 at 03:35 AM.
Views: 11,333
09-21-2010, 06:44 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
These are just wonderful Marc.

Getting all Oliver Twisty here - More sir please.

Tom G
They are such a treat to watch Tom, no question. What I really wanted to do is show people another facet of hummingbird behavior. Hopefully I have succeeded!

Thanks for the kind words and funny comment - they are definitely one of my more difficult subjects to photograph. Of course, I am stubborn in that I continue to use my K10D - it's no birding camera! More to come...

QuoteOriginally posted by BillM Quote
Hi Mark, Thats art defined by a master.

Im asked often if fall feeding delays departure, I answer no. If Im wrong would you
correct, know that people will look to your post for guidance.

For you to share is truly a treat,
Bill
Regarding your question about feeder delaying departure: I've only seen a couple hardier birds remain later than the masses, but even those few they will leave when the nighttime temperature gets cool enough. Their brains are small, but the imprinted DNA and low tolerance to fairly cool temps will force them south into Mexico.

Bill, thank you very much for those kind words - sincere thanks and I'm humbled. I know this sounds like a broken record to some folks, but it's never (ever!) about me: it's sharing the beauty around us. It's my sincere hope that I never lose my sense of wonder of nature's beauty, be it the power or the delicateness of a small creature. That my internal drive, no question. Seeing things with a child's eyes and an artistic mind can produce some interesting results.

I will admit that I am very careful how/when/where I photograph the hummingbirds whenever I have any control in that matter. Lines of sight, positioning, etc. is never a random thing. That's to ensure I shoot "clean" whenever possible. That in itself can be a difficult task, given the propensity for those subjects to land/take off in quick succession. They have no regard for my desire to nail the shot - often my careful setup is all a fruitless endeavor when they buzz around my head! That puts a smile on my face, no question.

BTW, I still have trouble calling myself artistic, even though I've done a fair bit of things that are artistic! I live by the rules of good common sense, am a to the point, get it done/goal oriented type of guy. That coupled with serious training and competing in sports I am a mess...

Thank you again,
Marc

09-21-2010, 06:45 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OrenMc Quote
These are just toooo darned good
You are too kind - thank you Oren.

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Incredible, Marc. Wonderful job.

Jer
Glad to share Jer - thanks for looking!

Regards,
Marc
09-21-2010, 06:47 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hcarvalhoalves Quote
Third photo is amazing. Submit it up to Pentax Gallery!
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
I'll second hcarvalhoalves on that third image, including the recommendation to submit to the gallery. I've seen lots of images similar to the first and fourth shot (there's someone in the the local club who's done outstanding hummer pictures) but that third photo captures a really unique posture. You can almost se the bird thinking.
OK, I'll cave into pressure - it's done = submitted #3 and #5 to PPG last night.

I really appreciate the comments from you both!

Regards,
Marc
09-21-2010, 06:52 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Beautiful

09-21-2010, 07:27 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
These are great, Marc! I've spent a fair amount of time on these delightful little buggers this summer and know how challenging they can be. These shots inspire me to keep at it.
09-21-2010, 10:11 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You're making me feel guilty about being lazy this year and not setting up a birders paradise in my back yard
09-22-2010, 08:07 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmb Quote
Quite remarkable images. A pleasure to enjoy them. Congratulations! Regards, johnmb
My honor John and thank you for taking the time to look/comment.

QuoteOriginally posted by ivoire Quote
Superb images! The detail is amazing.
Thank you sir! Hope you are doing well these days.

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Excellent shots Marc! Love that first one, the detail is superb! I sure could use that lens for my Squirrel shooting! I have baby Squirrels on the way soon!
Best Regards!
Ah, the truth came out! Thanks Jim and take care.

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
What a paradise you have created and the rewards have followed. Enjoy!
Lee, I've always enjoyed watching them so hopefully I can show how beautiful the really are. Thank you.

Regards,
Marc

09-23-2010, 07:28 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Marc,
I was just getting ready to ask if anyone had heard from you lately.
Excellent work as usual. That old K10 still cranks out some nice images with your guidence!
09-23-2010, 10:12 AM   #24
Zav
Pentaxian

God. Stunning.
09-23-2010, 06:42 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Yaro Quote
I really like photo 4. Well done.
Thank you Yaro - much appreciated and I'll have more.

QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
stunning images marc..... i couldn't entice any hummers this season.... but these shots make up for that.... dave m
Dave, I am glad I could oblige - that's too bad about your locale not enticing any over. Check the article I published here on attracting them - need a bit of a gardener's touch! A sincere thanks and take care.

Regards,
Marc
10-01-2010, 05:38 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
I'll second hcarvalhoalves on that third image, including the recommendation to submit to the gallery. I've seen lots of images similar to the first and fourth shot (there's someone in the the local club who's done outstanding hummer pictures) but that third photo captures a really unique posture. You can almost se the bird thinking.
Thank you and more to come (eventually)!

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmb Quote
Quite remarkable images. A pleasure to enjoy them. Congratulations! Regards, johnmb
John, a sincere thanks and glad you are pleased with the beauty of the hummingbirds in natural surroundings.

Regards,
Marc
10-01-2010, 05:40 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VaughnA Quote
Only two words work for me....Holy SheeIte!!.

Great Shots Marc, We put up more feeders and flowers this year and have less birds. I think they went to your place..
Nice!

Vaughn, I think all but a couple have fled...

Hopefully I can do some macro shoots this weekend!

QuoteOriginally posted by Mallee Boy Quote
wow! Wo.......you know the rest Marc.

The last one really gets my attention, cant say why, but it does!!
w,w,w...

Thank you Grant - yes, "Observation Post" is a unique angle/pose in my mind too.

Cheers,
Marc
10-02-2010, 03:43 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Wow, absolutely fantastic photos. Thanks for sharing
10-02-2010, 04:24 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Stunning indeed!!! Sharp, full of colour.... great job, wonderfully done!
10-02-2010, 08:10 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Fantastic shots Marc! The colors are amazingly rich and details sharp.