Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
some scanned slides
Lens: various Camera: various Photo Location: various 
Posted By: WPRESTO, 09-23-2010, 05:55 AM

I'm experimenting with a flatbed scanner for converting slides to digital so I can post & share some older images. As suspected, there's annoying loss of image detail and some color shift, but the images are still decent. I never kept notes on camera, lens, or exposure, so apologies for lack of this data, although sometimes, for particular images, I can remember. During the time these were taken I as at various times using a Pentax LX, a ZX5n. and for a short time a Ricoh XRM (before I got the LX). Earlier I used an ME Super, and later a *ist and for a couple years I also had an Nikon FA for use with their excellent 500 f4.0, the camera & lens purchased for some particular bird photography where both a long lens and a high synch speed was required (1/60 on the LX was inadequate). Kept the LX with its various finders up to the purchase of the K20D. Still have the ZX5n mostly because cosmetic damage during one vacation dropped it's value to almost nothing.
Here's my best recollections on technical data.

1) FLAMINGO, taken in Florida, probably using the ZX5n and a Tamron 70-300.
2) LIGHT TUNNEL: Taken and Disney World, Florida, probably with the ZX5n.
3) PELICAN: taken on Cedar Key, Florida, using the ZX5n (commonly used as a travel camera), probably with a Tamron 28-135. The bird was semi-tame, being accustomed to fishermen - to whom the bird was an old friend - who fished regularly on this pier. This and other pelicans had a habit of stealing fish off the hook as they were being reeled in, but in consequence they sometimes swallowed the hook as well, so several had ends of monofilament dangling from their bills.
4) POLYGALA (also called Gay Wings): taken in Massachusetts using the LX with a high eye relief finder (good for ground-level), Tokina 90mm macro, one 280T flash.

Last edited by WPRESTO; 10-15-2010 at 04:11 PM.
Views: 1,875
09-23-2010, 06:40 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
They look fine at screen resolution, for sure. What scanner are you using? And what sort of settings? I have an el-cheapo flatbed with a slide carrier, but I've never been happy with the results. These look great to me!
09-23-2010, 10:04 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Dear Foxglove: It's a Canon CANOSCAN 8800F. Just the default settings. I have a Microtek film scanner that gives much higher resolution, but it's slow and clumsy to use compared to this Canon unit, and the colors are no more more true to the oiginals.