Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
three scanned macros
Lens: various Camera: various Photo Location: Massachusetts 
Posted By: WPRESTO, 09-23-2010, 10:20 AM

Here are three images scanned from slides. Again, I did not record precise data on camera/lens/exposure etc. so I'm depending on memory going back to many thousands of slides.

1) HOVER FLY: photographed in a field, Pentax LX with 200mm SMCA f4 macro, no flash. I set up on the flower and waited, as there were numerous flies about, but only got one keeper for about an hour of shooting.

2) STRIPED HORSEFLY: this was an in-house set up that I remember well. Ricoh ZRM camera, Takumar 200mm F4 (NOT the macro) with reverse mounted 100mm f4 bellows Takumar, single TTL flash on a cord directly above with a mirror below the fly. The fly (Tabanus lineolis) was captured in my garage, transfered to a clear plastic box made for 3X5 cards, and offered a drop of molasses to hold still. The lid of the box was opened for the picture once he. was feeding.

3) CRAB SPIDER: Pentax LX with 40mm f3.5 Zeiss Casseron mounted with M42 tubes and a K to M42 adapter. The lens was obtained in a batch of miscellaneous old photo gear. It was made for the original Contax range finder body, so it had a big cam on the back that precluded mounting directly on the LX body. A lens of very good quality, but with only a manual diaphragm it was very clumsy to use, so I only kept it a few months. This was more an experiment that anything. AND, taken out in the garden, no flash.

Last edited by WPRESTO; 10-15-2010 at 04:13 PM.
Views: 1,545
09-23-2010, 11:16 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great Macro series. Thank you for sharing your set up for each. Yuo have a lot of patience. JIM
09-23-2010, 11:25 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That first shot is wicked! I've never seen a capture like that before. Well done.