Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Shut the duck up.
Lens: Focal QT-II 70-210mm Camera: K7 Photo Location: Texas Aperture: F4 
Posted By: r0ckstarr, 09-23-2010, 12:55 PM

The white duck hatched in 2007. It was a solid white duckling and was still very small when mid-November brought the cold weather. Out of the whole litter, this was the only one that survived. As he/she grew up, most of the white feathers turned to brown similar to a mallard. The duck is a lone wolf. It doesn't hang out with any of the other ducks, and hisses at them when they go near it. If a seagull or pigeon happens to land near him, he will peck at it and scare it away. It recognizes me and follows me from a distance because I take bread and corn with me when I go to the duck pond sometimes. Me and this duck have established a comfort zone with each other, and that is about 15 feet. If I move closer, he backs away. If I move away, he follows keeping the same distance.

This duck was laying under a tree and didn't mind me being so close. Alot of the ducks at the pond aren't afraid to get close to you. Mainly, because they know you have food. While I was taking this picture of the black duck, the white duck in the picture above was up in the tree.

I didn't know he was up there at first, but he dropped a surprise down my shoulder and back that forced me to go change clothes.
Views: 2,050
09-23-2010, 03:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What the duck? You did some good work here!
09-23-2010, 06:37 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks, I was just duckin' around.