Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Portraits
Lens: SMC 18 - 55mm Camera: K-x Photo Location: Ireland 
Posted By: Michelleans, 09-27-2010, 03:16 AM

My dad out picking apples in the garden. Would have liked it a little sharper and I'm not sure how I managed to blow out his face like that, any suggestions? I like the composition though with my mum and the apple trees behind.

and my hubby inside

Views: 1,489
09-27-2010, 04:16 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice pictures and the composition is indeed very pleasing in the first one. Concerning the over exposure of the first portrait. I see you used a fairly high ISO (800), the lens was quite open and you had your EV compensation at +1.3. Perhaps this was more then Aperture Priority could deal with. It is also possible that you exposed for a area that is 'darker' then the highlights on the face of your father. I suggest shooting with al lower ISO and be more conservative with the use of the EV compensation. If you are somewhat uncertain over the right exposure bracketing is also a valuable option! Not that I am in expert in any way...

Greetings,

Remco
09-27-2010, 05:24 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The exposure doesn't look that bad in the first one. What I do see is a bit of flatness and well as a weird reddish-purple color cast. it almost looks faded.

The one of your husband is very nice!

Mike
09-27-2010, 07:40 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I will definitely try the bracketing Remco, thanks for the suggestion. I was trying to create as much depth of field as possible in the portrait shots hence I went for a higher aperature value f4 - f3.5. Just bought an f2 Cosina 55mm so will be playing with that when it comes for portraits I will also try lowering the ISO. I am doing alot of playing around in manual so it is all a learning curve and i really appreciate the suggestions!

Mike, I agree the first looks flat. I am unsure how anything except some extra DOF again for f2 (or if i can get my hands on an f1.2 pentax or cosina prime lens) into it. Any other ideas?

Thanks both of you

« The dogs | Innocent »