Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
My first few shots with a DSLR camera
Lens: Kit 18-55mm Camera: Pentax K-x 
Posted By: Wihl, 09-27-2010, 07:13 AM

Hello, I've been reading this forum quite a bit over the last few days. I've only had a camera since friday last week so I still have tons and tons of stuff to learn but I think I'm on the right track so far. I've never really touched a dslr camera before and the only camera I've owned is on my phone :P

I've only been able to go out and take photos a couple of times so far but it's so much fun that I'll try and go out more often - if nothing else it gets me out of the apartment

Here are 4 photos that I took earlier today.. Is there anything very wrong about them or are they ok for a beginner like me? I only have the 18-55 kit lens so far but I'm hoping to get a telezoom and maybe a wideangle lens for christmas.

Evil Santa

Mosquito on a mushroom

Shroom

Mushroom 2

Added with edit, Door:

I appreciate any feedback

Last edited by Wihl; 09-27-2010 at 07:56 AM.
Views: 1,949
09-27-2010, 07:24 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great detail, and I think the composition in the third works well! I only think that the DOF could have been a bit wider.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-27-2010, 07:44 AM   #3

Original Poster
Yeah I thought the same thing about the DoF. I didnt notice until I got home and saw it full-size It's something I'll definately have in mind next time.

Edit:
A funny tidbit about the third picture, I was next to the road taking pictures when I saw a mushroom that was in a bad spot so I pulled it up and walked over to a garbage can on the side of the road and managed the squeeze the base of it into a thin pipe. Got some "green" from the ditch to make the little grass-like thing. Even with an improvised setup like that I think it came out pretty good except for the DoF.

Last edited by Wihl; 09-27-2010 at 07:51 AM.
09-27-2010, 12:43 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The "Evil Santa" is intriguing/puzzling, but I like the mushroom gills best of this set. You're off to a really promising start. You should see my first shots with an SLR --- on second thought, no you shouldn't.

09-27-2010, 09:49 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks! I'm gonna go lens-hunting today, see if I can dig up some lenses at the second hand stores around here. You never know! Even if there are plenty of bad quality lenses to buy its fun to just have a bunch I think, especially since the majority cost next to nothing. One of the good things about owning a Pentax