Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Yeatzee's macro's - Adult jumping spider
Lens: can't remember. I think M 50mm F/1.7 reversed on ~100mm of extension tubes Camera: K-7 Photo Location: backyard 
Posted By: yeatzee, 09-28-2010, 02:35 PM

5+ images stacked

Please let me know what you think!

(yeah I know, lame title. Just an experiment to see if I get any more views. Maybe ill break 100 this time )
Views: 1,832
09-28-2010, 02:51 PM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice work as always! The face is extremely sharp and detailed. Nice background, too.

IMO, the out-of-focus front legs are slightly distracting, pulling my eyes back away from the spider's face. Not sure what you could do about that, though.

Keep up the good work!
09-28-2010, 02:57 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Awesome job Tanner, besides the remarkable job you did in stacking I really like the background colors and bokeh.
09-28-2010, 03:48 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by liveincontrast Quote
Nice work as always! The face is extremely sharp and detailed. Nice background, too.

IMO, the out-of-focus front legs are slightly distracting, pulling my eyes back away from the spider's face. Not sure what you could do about that, though.

Keep up the good work!
Thanks! Yeah I hear ya.... I just don't know how everyone takes images of jumpers with so much in focus yet retaining so much detail (read thomas shahan). This image was taken using multiple images with a fairly low F-stop around F/4 to get as much sharpness as physically possible. Its a tradeoff currently, whether I want sharpness or DOF. I enjoy sharpness more personally (100% crop is astounding IMO)

QuoteOriginally posted by OrenMc Quote
Awesome job Tanner, besides the remarkable job you did in stacking I really like the background colors and bokeh.
Thank you! Im glad someone noticed, because I've been really working on my bokeh

09-28-2010, 03:57 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
They just get bigger and bigger! This one is a beauty, like all the others (and the mantis). Maybe someday you'll get to see yourself in their eyes
09-29-2010, 06:26 AM   #6
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
Thanks! Yeah I hear ya.... I just don't know how everyone takes images of jumpers with so much in focus yet retaining so much detail (read thomas shahan). This image was taken using multiple images with a fairly low F-stop around F/4 to get as much sharpness as physically possible. Its a tradeoff currently, whether I want sharpness or DOF. I enjoy sharpness more personally (100% crop is astounding IMO)
Totally agree on sharpness, and 100% crop? Fantastic!

I'm JUST starting to get into macro, but I've been enjoying your work here since I joined the forum. Frankly, I'm astonished that you were able to take enough shots of a live subject to stack the image you've got. I'm still working on things that don't move, with only limited success.
09-29-2010, 06:33 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by liveincontrast Quote
Totally agree on sharpness, and 100% crop? Fantastic!

I'm JUST starting to get into macro, but I've been enjoying your work here since I joined the forum. Frankly, I'm astonished that you were able to take enough shots of a live subject to stack the image you've got. I'm still working on things that don't move, with only limited success.
I should have been more clear. This is the full frame Im saying that 100% crop of this image is as sharp as my setup will alllow, period. I cannot get any sharper unless buying new stuff

When comparing to my favorite macro photographers, this is slightly sharper but they have more DOF. Im trying to work on that perfect balance

(you can't really tell the sharpness at this size)
09-29-2010, 07:29 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

good lighting, however I can't get past those OOF front legs, they are just too distracting.

09-29-2010, 02:47 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
good lighting, however I can't get past those OOF front legs, they are just too distracting.
fair enough, however even with F/22 and 3 frames stacked, I would not have enough DOF to get rid of that because of the spiders stance.

So in essence, as far as Im concerned, it is impossible to remedy that in this situation

Last edited by yeatzee; 09-29-2010 at 03:02 PM.
09-29-2010, 02:52 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great job on the background!!!!
09-29-2010, 07:03 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
..as far as Im concerned, it is impossible to remedy that in this situation
It's a shame lensbabay hasn't made a tilt adapter for regluar DSLR cameras. i'm sure you would find it most useful in extending DOF.