Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
Rockstar Uproar Festival
Lens: DA40 ltd Camera: K-x Photo Location: Vancouver ISO: 1600 
Posted By: jaieger, 09-28-2010, 09:21 PM

the results re: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-photography/115762-getting-my-k-x...-24-hours.html

note: in the end, I didn't end up trying to sneak my camera in; I just let them at it. They didn't glance at it twice, maybe a 5 inch lens rule or something.

notenote: they were giving people patdowns anyways so it would've been pointless to try sneaking it in.

notenotenote: when they searched my bag and found my M200/4, they didn't/forgot to give me a patdown. So, maybe it would've worked, I don't know.

But anyways, here are some of the results! These are the first 2 of 5 bands that played on the main stage Sunday night; I still haven't finished going through all of them yet. If you people like em, I'll put some more up from the later bands! The lineup on the main stage was Hellyeah, Halestorm, Stone Sour, Avenged Sevenfold, and Disturbed.

If it isn't clear from these pictures, I REALLY dislike that security guard. He must be in over half of my keeper shots :/ of all the security guards to stand there, he was the tallest. My luck, eh?

But anyways, it was a blast, and pretty educational from a photography standpoint. The DA40 really shined in this, with reliable focussing, relatively minimal CAs/fringing (some of contrast in these shots are a lens's worst nightmare), and sharpppp as hell. Shame photobucket made these a bit grainier, the K-x's high ISO came through on this too.

Now, if only I had a DA70; what I could've done with that extra 30mm...

EDIT: Gah, forgot the best picture of all! This one alone made the night worth it for me, I think:

Well, minus my dopey expression but at least it matches Corey Taylor's!

Last edited by jaieger; 09-28-2010 at 09:27 PM.
Views: 4,112
09-28-2010, 09:28 PM   #2
Forum Member

Props, you got some solid shots- in a tough environment to do so.
09-28-2010, 09:47 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
i enjoyed... love the last two... on stage... your mug is good too... just saying..
09-29-2010, 07:49 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CasualPhil Quote
Props, you got some solid shots- in a tough environment to do so.
Thanks Phil! I was up against the fence but it wasn't that bad...Until Avenged and Disturbed took the stage. At some songs in their sets, it was all I could do to hold on to dear life. And it was awesome.

QuoteOriginally posted by icywarm Quote
i enjoyed... love the last two... on stage... your mug is good too... just saying..
Thank you!

Here're a few more, these are of Stone Sour:

So, yeah. Don't really like that 7 foot tall security guard

09-29-2010, 07:54 AM   #5
Forum Member

did you have to use any flash?
09-29-2010, 07:57 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Nope, no flash was used. Stone Sour's set was great, it had tonsss of bright neutral light. Avenged's, in comparison, was a nightmare - the light was either nonexistant or harsh red, 75% of the time. Hah, their new album's called Nightmare, I see what they did there.

But yeah, Stone Sour was pretty ample light. For a lot of my shots of them, it was ISO 1250, F2.8, anywhere from 1/160-1/400. In retrospect I should have dropped my ISO a bit, but I wasn't too clearheaded in terms of camera settings at the moment
09-29-2010, 09:59 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Next time stand on the other side of the stage or hope that all the artists are left handed.

09-29-2010, 04:26 PM   #8
Veteran Member

All the photos are very nice, expecially the second batch.
looks like you had a great spot
09-29-2010, 06:46 PM   #9

nice Job bro!!

scott e burnham
http://snaptphotography.webs.com/
Flickr: scott burnham's Photostream
09-29-2010, 07:12 PM   #10
Forum Member

Very nice. Tough environment to shoot in.
09-29-2010, 10:30 PM   #11

Photos: Albums
Good to hear you got some gear in.

That security guard looks like a pain in the A**. A little creative cropping you might be able to take him out of some more shots. Looks like you got more than a couple good shots, should be good memories.
09-30-2010, 02:14 PM   #12
ectosaur

Great bunch of shots there! Makes me want to try sneaking my k-x into gigs now....
09-30-2010, 06:14 PM   #13

Awesome shots! Now my kids are mad that I didn't take my K-x when we went. They are requesting you post some Avenged Sevenfold and Disturbed shots.
09-30-2010, 10:20 PM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by burnie Quote
Thank you very much!

QuoteOriginally posted by digadv Quote
Very nice. Tough environment to shoot in.
Thank you! Definitely. There was some cougar who kept grinding against me for about 4 of the 5 bands that night. It was..interesting. LOL.

QuoteOriginally posted by lowspark86 Quote
Good to hear you got some gear in.

That security guard looks like a pain in the A**. A little creative cropping you might be able to take him out of some more shots. Looks like you got more than a couple good shots, should be good memories.
Yes, I'm quite glad myself too. Pretty happy I brought a different lens cap on my DA40 and then swapped them later - "limited" is almost synonymous to "professional" and "zomg". Hell yes he is, I've had many a great shot ruined by him ): but yes indeed. It was an amazing night.

QuoteOriginally posted by ectosaur Quote
Great bunch of shots there! Makes me want to try sneaking my k-x into gigs now....
Thank you very much! Haha do it! Just be careful, cause if they frisk upon entering they might not like you so much :/

QuoteOriginally posted by kmets Quote
Awesome shots! Now my kids are mad that I didn't take my K-x when we went. They are requesting you post some Avenged Sevenfold and Disturbed shots.
Thank you! LOL put it this way - you could have taken a few shots and come back with a bit of memory, but every second you're shooting is a second you aren't rocking the hell out! And yes indeedy I will most certainly oblige, for Avenged anyways. Apparently when I left pictures uploading overnight, it cut off halfway through Avenged's set and didn't upload any Disturbed, so I'm working on that now. But here's some Avenged:

Avenged's set was by far the most difficult to photograph in my opinion. Oftentimes they didn't come to the very edge of the stage, where I was standing, and there was mostly pretty dark lighting a lot of the time, or red light, which more or less is unrecoverable (in terms of skin tone).

I'll try to have the second half of Avenged's set up, as well as my Disturbed pictures up tomorrow! Disturbed was pretty great cause they had platforms to stand up on so they were nice and tall and close
10-01-2010, 05:50 AM   #15

Thanks, I appreciate it!