Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
5 of Fort Jefferson
Lens: Sigma 10-20 & 17-70 Camera: K20D Photo Location: Dry Tortugas, Florida 
Posted By: WPRESTO, 09-29-2010, 06:09 AM

Fort Jefferson occupies 90% of one of the small islands of the Dry Tortugas, about 23 miles west of Key West. The sandy beach in the first shot is the only part of the original island still exposed. All the rest of the fort walls are immersed in water. Started in the early 1800's, expanded during the Civil War, the fort never fired nor was fired upon in combat, which, depending on interpretation, means 1) construction was a waste of money; 2) the fort succeeded 100% in its roll as a deterrent. The walkway visible through the gun port in the last photo was to prevent enemy ships from coming directly against the walls of the fort, so that assaulting troops would have to disembark to cross the moat, which I would estimate at 4~6 feet deep. Hard to believe anyone would try.

Last edited by WPRESTO; 10-15-2010 at 04:21 PM.
Views: 1,776
09-29-2010, 06:32 AM   #2

cameraboy

love the beautiful shots especialy the staircase! hoped every thing was taken on a pentax . once again interesting & well done. BRAVO.ian
09-29-2010, 06:56 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
cameraboy: Thanks. Yes, all shots taken with a K20D. Although I have used both Canon and Nikon bodies (former to get a tilt-shift lens; latter to get a 500 f4 and high speed flash synch not then available in a Pentax body), I've always owned Pentax going back to the Asahi Pentax S (double shutter speed dials, preset lenses only). I still have my Honeywell Spotmatic (no hot shoe) with the original version of the 50mm f1.4.
09-29-2010, 07:24 AM   #4
mel
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is really cool. It's amazing what fascinating locations are here and there around in our own backyard. I love the spiral staircase and the way you lined up the doorways in the 4th one. Nice work. Thanks for letting me see something new.

09-29-2010, 03:41 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Great shots - I've always wanted to see this place. Very well done.

Jer