Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
Life and death in the Karoo
Lens: DAL 18-55mm Camera: Pentax Kx Photo Location: Nqweba dam Graaff-reinet ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/250s Aperture: F16 
Posted By: altopiet, 09-29-2010, 08:15 AM

The semi desert Karoo. A dead tree in the life giving water of the dam feeding the town. Any tips and advice are welcome.
Views: 2,575
09-29-2010, 01:15 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

I like the concept here but I'd try changing a few things about the execution. These are just some of my thoughts/opinions, of course.
- I'd be interested in changing the perspective: rather than shooting straight on with the subject in the middle (between you and the water) I'd try shooting from the water's edge back at the tree with the line of posts on my left and the water on my right. I think having the shoreline and coast receding into the distance might add some visual interest. I'd also try positioning the tree in the left-half of the frame, with the water forming a large negative space on the right, again to add interest.
- I would shoot this with a wide angle. I'm guessing you were zoomed in a bit, but I'd like to see it shot closer to the 18mm end of the focal length. I'd also try to get a lower angle on the shot by crouching down.
- I'd like to see more contrast, especially in the background, with darker blacks and brighter whites. I wouldn't want the highlights totally blown out but I would like to see a greater range of values (from black to gray to white).
- From the angle of the shadow it looks like this was taken at mid-day (12:00). I think that's the most difficult time to get a good picture. If you shot earlier or later in the day the angle of light, the shadows, etc. could make for a much stronger image.
- Related to getting stronger shadows, you could try editing the image to give it a gradient - a darker band running across the top of the frame - in post-processing. This can be overdone but it often provides for a more dramatic effect.

That's a lot of feedback but again, I really like where you're going with this shot. I think by zooming out, getting low, and moving around you could really increase the impact of the shot.

Thanks for sharing it!
09-29-2010, 11:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for the advise alan, you are correct with the time of the shot. I will try your suggestions early one morning, as an afternoon shot will be directly into the sun, Thanks again
Christo
09-30-2010, 04:49 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Another go! Took Alan's advice and hope next 2 are better. I still haven't got much of a clue about editing programs, but gave it a shot.

09-30-2010, 05:16 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Much much MUCH better! I like the 1st one in the second set best.

Mike
09-30-2010, 05:29 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Mike, with all the expert advice shared by so many friendly people, I can only get better. Thanks again to Alan for his effort and tips, it gave me a new perspective
Christo
09-30-2010, 06:44 AM - 1 Like   #7
JMR
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Much much MUCH better! I like the 1st one in the second set best.

Mike
Not sure what kind of advice you want. But if you are doing a reshoot, I would suggest excluding the posts and using the rocks as foreground.

JMR

09-30-2010, 07:29 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks JMR, those trees will not go anywhere soon, I'll give that a try, do you think a shot from closer to ground level? I agree, the posts are not natural in that kind of photo
Christo
09-30-2010, 07:55 AM   #9
JMR
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
Thanks JMR, those trees will not go anywhere soon, I'll give that a try, do you think a shot from closer to ground level? I agree, the posts are not natural in that kind of photo
Christo
Not necessarily. I like the second image in the second post but without the poles. So you could move to the other side of the poles and use the rocks as your foreground. The object is to seek a pleasing arrangement of the trees but also balance them with the mountains and overall scene. The first image (second post) works very well because the tree is dominant and balanced against the rest of the scene. None are necessarily better but are varied and make for different use of the wonderfullly gloomy landscape. Notice I said wonderful!

JMR
09-30-2010, 08:44 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Those look great! I'm glad the comments gave you some new things to try.

I actually like the posts. I think they provide a kind of interesting contrast to the trees: the posts are clearly man-made with strong vertical lines that are juxtaposed against the wild, natural lines of the trees. I don't know, but it works for me. I would be interested to see it from a lower angle so the tops of the posts are mostly above the water's edge, just for a more dramatic perspective.
09-30-2010, 10:12 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks again all of you, advise much appreciated
Christo
Closed Thread