Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Tis da seezin
Posted By: JCSullivan, 12-02-2006, 08:15 AM

Here are a couple of shots as a preamble since my neighbour from Alberta got the subject going.

Last edited by JCSullivan; 12-02-2006 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Link to images
Views: 1,811
12-02-2006, 10:49 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
here is mine

Hope you don't mind. Enjoy.

12-02-2006, 10:51 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Not one bitsy bit - go4it
12-02-2006, 12:38 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Wow, that would cost a fortune for the electricity bills! I think we do have crazy people doing these lights decoration in melbourne australia too. I just need to follow the gossip news closely to track down these houses here.

Thanks for the inspirations.

Festive seasons!

12-02-2006, 01:55 PM   #5
Veteran Member

May you all be blessed this Christmas, whether you have the snow tradition or not.
12-02-2006, 03:56 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I know you didn't mean anything by "...crazy people doing these lights" but the first and last is my mom's and the second one is my sister's. ;-)
12-02-2006, 04:15 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Great light show JC. I plan on getting to LongWood Gardens within the next couple of weeks (really want to get there before Christmas ) and do a night Photo shoot on the light display they have. It is usually spectacular. as soon as I do I will post the shots.

Mary Christmas to all.
Good Shooting.
Cheers: David

12-02-2006, 10:08 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote
I know you didn't mean anything by "...crazy people doing these lights" but the first and last is my mom's and the second one is my sister's. ;-)
That's funny

It's not very traditional to do this here either, but over the last few years there's been a few more "crazies" doing it. Trouble is, being summer, and having daylight saving in action, it doesn't get dark 'til late.
12-03-2006, 03:30 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I am sorry that i did not mean it that way!

QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote
Over here, it takes a lot of effort and guts to put all these lights on at night because

1. Constant complaints from neighbourhood about the lights

2. Local council approval and requirement for doing this - anything ridiculous is possible with councils making funny laws

3. Putting up electricity cables and lightings around the house plus the trees are not considered normal here for Christmas - usually we sweat a lot by doing nothing at all with no ozone layer above us in oz (melanoma prevalence of Australian population is highest in the world)

4. Like what Arpe says, Sunset in summer happens after 9 pm or so afterwards... Eventhough burning coal to generate electricity is so cheap (government provides coal for the electricity company free of cost), households still get charged a lot for little use - A rip off.

I am sure putting the lights up in north america or canada are considered cool, funky and fun! Just a bit hard to do here and whoever did decorate their houses like that would be on our current affairs programme or 6 30 pm news.

Apology for what an supposedly innocent phrase

James

Last edited by roentarre; 12-03-2006 at 03:35 AM.
12-03-2006, 03:44 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Suprised that the lights on houses thing isn't big in Melbourne.

Here in Perth (Australia) it is a pretty big thing with some households getting right into it and producing displays of what I call "Griswaldian" proportions (from the Chevy Chase movie). There are even tour bus companies that drive around the streets with a bus full of people to look at the light displays.

Next time I take the kids for a drive to see the lights I will take a shot to add to this thread - after all it is a well known fact that West Australians provide the best light show - just ask the astronauts.
12-03-2006, 03:51 AM   #11
Veteran Member

James if you want to see them here in Melbourne the most famous street is The Boulevard in Ivanhoe...
12-03-2006, 05:31 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
James, that's OK. Like I said I know you didn't mean anything by it.

It MUST be a culture thing because outside lights and house decorations are not Big but HUGE sales and have been since I can remember.

It's also a family affair here that mom, dad and the kids get into the car or walk for a lights tour.

I welcome anyone to post their night shots and Xmas lights images here or start their own thread. I got the idea from Heinrich he has some Festival of Lights shots worth looking at, in another thread.
12-03-2006, 07:33 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Man what a bummer for you all that don't get to display your lights. The first step is to admit a problem " I am a crazie and display my lights for 5 years now" .lolololol anyway here in the US and here in town were I live, Easthampton Massachusetts it used to be just Christmas lights that went up. But over the past say 3 or 4 years people are putting up lights for other holidays. I have scene 4th of July lights, Halloween, Thanksgiving it is funny. I am not that crazie yet only stick with Christmas so far. Maybe I will get some more of the nieghbors lights to show you guys. Some make my little house look like a nightlight compared to thier electric light orchastra.

12-04-2006, 05:31 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Hehe Looking forward to your photos of night house lighting

QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
Man what a bummer for you all that don't get to display your lights. The first step is to admit a problem " I am a crazie and display my lights for 5 years now" .lolololol anyway here in the US and here in town were I live, Easthampton Massachusetts it used to be just Christmas lights that went up. But over the past say 3 or 4 years people are putting up lights for other holidays. I have scene 4th of July lights, Halloween, Thanksgiving it is funny. I am not that crazie yet only stick with Christmas so far. Maybe I will get some more of the nieghbors lights to show you guys. Some make my little house look like a nightlight compared to thier electric light orchastra.

I will look forward to seeing your posts. I gonna hunt down some of the similar photos myself. Maybe we can start a thread just for night house lighting of festive seasons!

What do you think?