Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Jumper
Lens: DA 55-300mm Camera: K20D Photo Location: Cleveland, Ohio ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/90s Aperture: F22 
Posted By: PeteyJ, 10-03-2010, 12:58 PM

Nothing ruins a picture like dust on the lens
Views: 1,802
10-03-2010, 01:20 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Would have been more dramatic had this been at night- but still very creative

That's one huge piece of dust- eek!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-03-2010, 03:17 PM   #3

Original Poster
It looks even worse on some of the other shots from that day. I never noticed it looking through the viewfinder. Such a shame.
10-03-2010, 03:39 PM   #4
Veteran Member

The dust is probably on the sensor. Do you have the clone stamping skills to remove it in post processing?

10-03-2010, 05:20 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It's easy to remove the dust on PP though:

I also found the image had a weird green/cyan tint to it, the skin tones were artificial looking. How did you developed the RAW?
10-03-2010, 05:26 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Interesting shot and caravil you missed the one above her head and to the left ;-)
10-03-2010, 05:36 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Just being a little morbid here and I only mean the next statement tongue in cheek"This would make a great entry in my photo contestf you caught her jumping"https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/115684-thematic-show-me-your-pulitzer-contest-prizes-starts-today.html

10-03-2010, 06:38 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hcarvalhoalves Quote
It's easy to remove the dust on PP though:

I also found the image had a weird green/cyan tint to it, the skin tones were artificial looking. How did you developed the RAW?
I'll be honest, it didn't even pop in to my head to use the clone stamp to remove the dust. I've spent more time in the wet darkroom than the digital darkroom these days, and if you have dust on your lens with film, then you're stuck with a dust spot (sure you can use a spotting brush, but you can usually tell that it's been altered).

As for the cyan color cast, that's intentional. I figured giving it a cool color cast would add to the mood of the picture.
10-03-2010, 07:08 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PeteyJ Quote
I'll be honest, it didn't even pop in to my head to use the clone stamp to remove the dust. I've spent more time in the wet darkroom than the digital darkroom these days, and if you have dust on your lens with film, then you're stuck with a dust spot (sure you can use a spotting brush, but you can usually tell that it's been altered).

As for the cyan color cast, that's intentional. I figured giving it a cool color cast would add to the mood of the picture.
If it's intentional, then it makes sense

Although it looks a bit off for me, but my monitor may be calibrated differently (I'm on a Mac).
10-03-2010, 09:19 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hcarvalhoalves Quote
If it's intentional, then it makes sense

Although it looks a bit off for me, but my monitor may be calibrated differently (I'm on a Mac).
I'm on a mac too One thing I've learned the hard way...the way it looks on one monitor will almost always be different than how it looks on another monitor. One of the caveats of digital I guess.