Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Milkweed
Lens: 16-45 Camera: K20D ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/350s Aperture: F16 
Posted By: TomE, 10-06-2010, 07:16 AM

Fall Milkweed, with PP to bring out contrast and color! I wanted the dark pod in the front to give it a a feeling of depth, compared to the bright white threads of the other pods.

Tom
Views: 1,616
10-06-2010, 07:42 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The lighting/colors are fine with me. I like the sparkle in the seed threads. I personally would have gone for less DOF than is registered by f16. The sunlit green grass in the lower half of the image competes too much with details in the foreground subject. I'd like to see that grass blurred to a vague green smear so that the shadowed pod is more separated from the background.
10-06-2010, 12:01 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks, I will give that a try, I used f/16 because I was so close I needed the DOF to keep all the pods in focus. I was also wondering if I should lighten up the front pod just a bit to show more detail, or if keeping it dark is OK?

Tom
10-06-2010, 04:24 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You've captured the silky nature of the seed strands quite well, and the texture of the pod casings. I agree with WPresto that throwing the green grass into more of a blur would help isolate the milkweed better. The situation might not permit it, but I think I might like the front pod -- and especially its seed silk -- to be less in shadow. I do like that you can tell that the background is grassy and watery, to indicate the habitat of the milkweed.