Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Flamingos, Churches, sandcastles, Bridge and Lighthouses - Prince Edward Island
Posted By: Peter Zack, 09-10-2007, 05:24 AM

Well we finally got a nice break from the rainy days that have predominated the weekends this summer. My wife and I decided to explore downtown (new city for me) - Charlottetown Prince Edward Island. Just took the Tamron 28-75 f2.8 Di to travel light and came across the following display that we had no idea was down by the waterfront.

Like that lens more and more as I get to use it. Wish I'd had the Sigma 12-24
with me but there wasn't time to go back to the car (the church shot was taken with that lens after we left here).

The shots are fairly snapshot like (I really need to learn a lot more about PP'ing some shots) as we came across the site 20 minutes before they were closing.

These sandcastles were amazing and big! The fence around the site was 8 feet high and my wife is standing by one to give you a sense of scale. The last shot is of the church that was copied in the sandcastle (taken that same day just up the street). I gotta get in there for a couple hours early in the day with better (less harsh) light.

These are totally made from local sand and clay. They treat the finished project with something that keeps the rain from washing it away and in a few weeks this will all just be a pile of sand. The red colour is common for the earth and beaches here and this is the potato capitol of Canada if not North America because of this sandy clay filled soil.

Attached Images

Last edited by Peter Zack; 12-27-2007 at 07:04 PM.
Views: 2,833
09-12-2007, 10:37 AM   #16
Veteran Member

My mother's family is from the Truro, NS area (actually started in a little place called Londonderry Mines). My last visit was about fifteen years ago. Drove from Truro (on the way to Cape Breton) over to a town whose name escapes me as I write this (near a pretty smelly pulp mill) where there was a ferry to PEI. Is that where the bridge was built?
I was fascinated to discover that the ANN OF GREEN GABLES books have what I guess is a cult following in Japan. Seeing the buses pull up to the house is pretty interesting.
Hope to get up there again.

09-12-2007, 12:42 PM   #17
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Peter, Oh to you have that right. There are Japanese couples that pay huge sums of money to get married in "Anne's Land" I was there last month and there were tons of Asian tourists. (Don't think I haven't considered a little wedding photography on the side next year). What knocks me over is that the whole thing is based on a fictional character. But it's good for PEI and this is a lovely place to visit for many reasons.

I know Londonderry well. A friend has a house on top of one of the mountains there. Million mile (dollar) views. Quiet but beautiful. The town you were forgetting is Pictou Nova Scotia and the pulp mill is still there but not as bad as it once was. The second ferry, which is still in operation runs from there. The Bridge is located in New Brunswick at Cape Tormentine which I guess was the narrowest point to make the bridge. It could have been easier to buld in Nova Scotia as most of the steel work was done outside Halifax and these huge sections over 250 feet long were trucked late at night over 300 Kms to the work site.

In the gallery I have a shot taken from that ferry on a stormy evening when there was lightning on one side of the boat and the storm front clearing on the other.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/gallery/index.php?n=3263

Last edited by Peter Zack; 12-27-2007 at 07:03 PM.
09-13-2007, 04:34 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I like the unusual view of the lighthouse! A few years back, there were cliff swallow nests all around it, under the ledge below the light. I meant to go back with a camera, but we tend to go off in the other direction, over to the long beach. The abstract is really neat. I've only been across the bridge a few times, and I've never got around to digging the camera out. Next time...

Julie
« Cape Cod MA | Light »