Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Thanks - Pentax Days!
Lens: DA 14mm Camera: K200D Photo Location: Sharpsburg, MD ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/60s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: cdurfor, 10-11-2010, 12:31 PM

Huzzah!

One of my photos will be in the Maryland Department of Natural Resources 2011Calendar. I owe it all to the July 2010 Mid-Atlantic Pentax photo shoot day..

Here's the link to the web site (so you can enter next year..)

Maryland Department of Natural Resources - Communications Office

The image is below but the excitment is tempered by the quality work of several other folks that day. Mine was clearly not best in show. (At least I didn't tramble the flowers).....

Thanks again Brendan for a super day...

Views: 1,742
10-11-2010, 12:33 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Congratulations Chuck!
10-11-2010, 12:43 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats! Cool bridge.
10-11-2010, 12:57 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
For those unfamilar with the structure here's a taste of Wiki.. Of note approximately 400 Georgian sharpshooters held nearly 10,000 Union troops from crossing the bridge for several hours..

"Burnside's Bridge is a landmark on the Antietam National Battlefield near Sharpsburg, Maryland. Crossing over Antietam Creek, the bridge played a key role in the September 1862 Battle of Antietam during the American Civil War when a small number of Confederate soldiers from Georgia for several hours held off repeated attempts by elements of the Union Army to take the bridge by force. Finally, the Federals seized it, but not before the attack had been delayed for several hours beyond what had been expected by Maj. Gen. Ambrose Burnside. The bridge now bears Burnside's name.

Constructed in 1836[1] of area limestone and granite by local Dunker farmers, the three-arched, 12-foot (3.7 m)-wide, 125-foot (38 m)-long bridge provided a passageway over Antietam Creek for farmers to take their produce and livestock to market in Sharpsburg. It was originally named the Lower Bridge, as there were two others (Upper Bridge and Middle Bridge) upstream that also allowed movement of freight, animals, and people across the creek. The Lower Bridge took on the name Rohrbach's Bridge after a farmer, Henry Rohrbach, who lived near the structure.

After the war, the U.S. Government acquired the bridge and adjoining land. Vehicular traffic across the bridge was stopped and the original farm lanes allowed to grow over with grass. Foot traffic is still allowed across the structure, which remains as one of the most photographed bridges of the Civil War."

10-11-2010, 10:01 PM   #5
Forum Member

^ wow, I love the history that revolves around the East Coast and the South- the Civil War is my most favorite to study.
10-12-2010, 05:34 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
superb perspective.... great edge to edge sharpness at f8... dave m
10-13-2010, 09:16 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Many thanks.

I wonder how much the 105F heat helped the image (e.g., additional humidty to diffuse light)?

Anyway, I spend much of the day trying to come to grips with a new DA14mm. I've really learned to love the lens. Its fast, sharp with good color rendition and the WA distortion can be adjusted for effect depending on how the image is framed...

Thanks again to all!

C. Durfor

10-14-2010, 10:26 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Great shot and congrats!