Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Scafell Pike
Posted By: thomasjmpark, 09-11-2007, 04:42 PM

Hello again,

I was out in the hills again yesterday and decided to have a go at Scafell Pike which is the highest mountain in England. The weather was kind to us and we all managed to get sun burnt!

Hope you enjoy
Views: 1,637
09-11-2007, 06:32 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Thats some beautiful landscape. Thanks for posting.
09-11-2007, 07:40 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Great shots! I'd really love to see that area of England in person some day. Simply beautiful!
09-11-2007, 08:22 PM   #4

Wow I always thought England was all rolling hills it is cool to see that thanks. rp

09-11-2007, 08:39 PM   #5
Veteran Member

WOW! those are stunning in too many ways. You have everything you'd ever love to see in great landscape shots plus you took them with a Pentax camera whihc is even better. Thank you for posting and what do you use to sharpen your images btw?
09-11-2007, 11:27 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thankyou all, the Lake District is a stunning place and it is a privelige to live here. On that particular day because there was strong sunshine and scattered clous the landscape was constantly changing which when high up is very impressive to watch.

Codiac I use unsharp mask in ps, usually i copy the main layer then 'over sharpen' , then simply blend or reduce the layers opacity until it looks natural (sometimes this doesnt always work )
09-12-2007, 12:13 AM   #7

Wonderful pictures - such gorgeous light! I am fascinated to see some sort of animal in the last one - I'm guessing cows? They must be pretty tough to live up there because I don't imagine the weather's usually as mild as the day you took those photos! Are they fenced in or free-ranging, and if so, don't they ever wander off the cliffs in bad weather?

09-12-2007, 02:18 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
They are small sheep local to this part of England. There are boundaries but they are huge and so they wander around most of the Lake District quite freely. Farmers are actually subsidised to keep the sheep because they are native to the Lake District!! Only the wool is used.

Sheep quite often fall as do goats, not as much as people though! If they are difficult to get to mountain rescue is called in, which they dont mind as it is good practice for the dogs and the rescuers.

Thanks for the nice comments
09-12-2007, 04:40 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Wow, fantastic photos and a very nice outing it looks like.
//Don
09-12-2007, 05:11 AM   #10
and
Veteran Member

Very well executes landscapes, good exposure with no sign of any burnouts. Good sharpness. I like the second one, how the moving clouds create the shadow pattern, which is also visible to good effect in the last one. I think its cool the sense of depth you get in some of these when you can follow the mountain tops into the distance.
09-12-2007, 06:15 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks Don was a great day out. Frank thanks for the feedback and kind words.....I took about 150 photos that day so thought I would post just a few more.

The first is a peak (cant remember the name) next to Scafell (on the right) we had already walked 15 miles and up 1,500ft by this point...

2nd is looking back down the valley we came from where the 'stretcher box' is...

3rd is the final climb to summit, had to get roped up for that because as you can see the drop doesnt look too tempting!!

09-12-2007, 02:31 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Beautiful. All great shots. Just makes me want to go do some hiking in the of English country side. Thanks for posting.
09-12-2007, 03:02 PM   #13
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What astunning collection of shots. From all of them number 2 stands out. The shadows from the clouds, colour and exposure is wonderful. Very good getting all these shots without burntout sky with clearly difficult lighting.

So was the highest peak 1500 feet? I realize you are very close to Scotland and around 54 Degrees North but is it that cold that you have virtually no trees?
09-12-2007, 03:24 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks Frank you should book a ticket and come on over

Thanks for the praise Peter When I took the 8th shot posted we were at 1,500ft and we still had to ascend that large lump of rock (Scafell) in the pic that is about 3,500ft or thereabouts. I was lucky with the light and the camera that day

The Lake District used to be covered in trees but in the agricultural revolution they were mostly cut down, there would have been trees where I was standing in shot 8 but not much further up i dont think.

Thanks again.