Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Gettysburg battlefield
Lens: Various Camera: K20D Photo Location: Gettysburg PA 
Posted By: SpecialK, 10-15-2010, 08:23 PM

First-shot marker a mile or so west of town.

One of over 1,300 monuments.

Eternal Light Peace memorial at the NW edge of the battlefield.

One of many farms on the battlefield.

Flank markers of all shapes and sizes mark the end of a unit's position.

This cupola of the Lutheran Theological Seminary was used as an observation post by both sides. The Seminary also gave the name to Seminary Ridge, which parallels Cemetery Ridge, both used as positions of strength.

Dilger's Battery monument near Barlow's Knoll.

Old Alms House cemetery.

The Abraham Brian farm was near the center of action on Cemetery Ridge. After the battle he sued the government for over $1,000 in damages, eventually getting $15.

This used to be a wheatfield, which came to be known as "the bloody wheatfield" after a series of back-and-forth attacks.

Another monument near the wheatfield.

The Trostle farm, with cannon-ball hole.

The 20th Maine defended the hill known as Little Round Top at the southern end of the Union line, and made a successful bayonet counter-attack when they ran out of ammo.

Brig Gen Warren views the battlefield from Little Round Top. He organized its defense only minutes before it was attacked.

The Devil's Den area below the Round Tops.

The famous photo of a dead Confederate sharpshooter at this location was staged a few days after the battle.

On the NW side of Devil's Den is "the triangular field" which had back-and-forth fighting.

View from Culp's Hill tower looking NNW across Gettysburg. The Eternal Light Peace memorial is in the background, and the spire of Gettysburg College is in the center.

An area east of town known as the East Cavalry Field saw fighting on day two between (mostly) dismounted cavalry troops, including George A Custer.

The Pennsylvania Memorial, largest on the battlefield. I thought it might have a spot-light or something at night, but there are no lights on the battlefield. Although I was shining a maglite all over the monument, the shadows tell me it was the moon that lit it up during a 30 sec f5.6 ISO 400 exposure.

The Sherfy farmhouse. Park rangers live in some of these houses.

The Snyder farmhouse.

Looking W across the fields from the left side of the Confederate viewpoint. Their objective was the clump of trees about 1/3 from the left (now disputed as possibly a larger group of trees to the north).

Near the Confederate position before the attack. Approximately 170 cannons fired for almost 2 hours to soften up the Union positions.

Trees on Big Round Top.

More monuments and flank markers near the Round Tops.

On the southern end of Cemetery Ridge.

Cemetery Ridge marker and farm.

1st Minnesota had 215 casualties out of 262 men during their bayonet charge toward the Confederate troops who were advancing from the peach orchard, and lost 17 of the remaining 47 the next day.

This was Gen Meade's headquarters. Coincidentally, a teenager, Tillie Pierce, fled from her home in town on the first day to this location for safety. As the fighting approached this house on day two, she went to another farm down the road near the Round Tops, that also became under fire...She wrote a book about it later in life.

This is supposedly the "copse of trees" that was the center of the 2-hour cannon bombardment and subsequent infantry attack during "Pickett's charge". The label stuck to Pickett although he was only one of three commanders. Later, when asked why he thought the attack failed, he replied, "I always thought the Yankees had something to do with it".

This tree marks the corner of the wall known as "the bloody angle". It was here that Brig Gen Armistead and a hundred or so Confederates broke through the Union forces and captured a cannon battery to the left, before being driven back. This location is referred to as "the high-water mark of the Confederacy", because the South never came as close to victory afterward.

Back at the location where the armies first clashed in the morning of the first day.

Thanks for looking.

Last edited by SpecialK; 03-18-2011 at 03:17 PM.
Views: 8,403
10-15-2010, 08:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Wonderful images and thanks for the field trip. I'll probably never get there to see it in person so I appreciate your photos a lot.

Larry
10-15-2010, 10:23 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Your photos bring back so many memories for us, we spent a year on the road traveling from Vicksburg MS east to explore as many battlefields and memorials as possible. What a sacrifice these men/woman made for both sides. I am glad you posted the photos so that it may lure others to learn of this nations history. Great photo of the memorial and thank you for sharing. Bob
10-16-2010, 05:03 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Another wonderful set of photos. Thanks so much for sharing these and for the superb captioning.

Mike

10-16-2010, 05:42 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Enjoyable series - thanks for posting as I haven't been to Gettysburg in decades.

Jer
10-16-2010, 05:45 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for this series, which I thoroughly enjoyed, not just the photography, but also the captions.
10-16-2010, 09:41 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Again, I thank you all. Although I have like 500 keepers (some are marginal "into the sun" and similar varieties), I feel like I still missed half of it, especially the town itself...I did it in 2 days (plus a brief third morning) but another day in town for museums and other landmarks was needed.

10-16-2010, 11:49 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

really superb historic montage.... wonderful blend of monuments, farms and homes, some very nice perspectives employed, thanks for sharing, dave m
10-16-2010, 02:20 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Fantastic, atmosphere filled images, & meaning so much more for me. an Aussie, with the captions. You obviously are an expert in this chapter of America's history.
Well done.
Cheers, Pickles.
10-16-2010, 02:49 PM   #10
Veteran Member

As another Aussie, I support Pickles comments. I have seen some brilliantly done documentaries on the Civil War. To see such a great lineup of photos and the captions to support them, is great. Interesting and very moving.
Excellent series.
10-16-2010, 06:28 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Seeing pictures like these remind me of when I was little and walked the battlefields. Even then, approximately 30 years ago, I could tell something bad happened there. It was not one specific thing, or the reading of the monuments and postings all over, it was a feeling that hung in the air so heavy you could almost reach out and grab it.
10-28-2010, 03:06 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
You obviously are an expert in this chapter of America's history.
Well done.
Cheers, Pickles.
Ah, thanks for the nice comments and support, but I learned most of it through google, the TV-movie "Gettysburg", a battlefield guidebook, and the park brochure. :-)

Last edited by SpecialK; 10-28-2010 at 04:35 PM.
11-22-2010, 04:42 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Your pics sure brought back some memories - I toured the battlefields at Gettysburg about 20 years ago. Very nice shots. Thanks for posting!

John
11-22-2010, 08:01 PM   #14

Wow, this was a special treat. I have always been fascinated by the Civil War era and hope someday to make the journey east and visit these hallowed sites. Gettysburg and Antietam are tops on my list. Great series of pics with descriptions. I am jealous.
11-23-2010, 06:50 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks again. I'm glad they got some viewing.