Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Shooting the stars
Lens: A50 f1.2 Camera: K7 Photo Location: Upward ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 6s Aperture: F2.8 
Posted By: JeffJS, 10-16-2010, 01:44 PM

The sky was quite clear last night after the moon disappeared from view so I decided to take some star shots. Looking forward to trying this someday with the K5 but for now..

The Is some post processing to get this out of the shot but the information is there.

Here is a 30 second f2.8 shot

Views: 1,731
10-16-2010, 02:04 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm impressed with shot #1 but why did you restrict yourself to just ISO 100. I would have thought with the K-7 you could have pushed it a little more - say to 800. Or am I missing something here
10-17-2010, 01:58 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Jeff - you'll need to restrict your exposure time on shots like this to 8 seconds or less. Otherwise you'll get the star drift that you see in your photos.

Or use a system to allow your camera to "track", such as a motorized telescope mount.

Al S.
10-17-2010, 02:30 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fotaki Quote
I'm impressed with shot #1 but why did you restrict yourself to just ISO 100. I would have thought with the K-7 you could have pushed it a little more - say to 800. Or am I missing something here
No, you aren't missing anything.. I just prefer to stay at the lower ISOs.

QuoteOriginally posted by fillerupmac Quote
Jeff - you'll need to restrict your exposure time on shots like this to 8 seconds or less. Otherwise you'll get the star drift that you see in your photos.

Or use a system to allow your camera to "track", such as a motorized telescope mount.

Al S.
Yes, Thank you Al, I'm very familiar with this and have been hunting a light hobbiest (translation > cheap) solution to a tracking mount.

Thanks both for your comments, always appreciated that someone at least takes the time.

10-17-2010, 03:16 PM   #5
Pentaxian

The second one is a bit blurred by the star trails, but the first one looks excellent to me! What was your setup?

I agree with you that as long as you have some means for tracking the stars, low ISO is better, since there isn't much light to work with in the first place.
10-17-2010, 03:23 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
The second one is a bit blurred by the star trails, but the first one looks excellent to me! What was your setup?

I agree with you that as long as you have some means for tracking the stars, low ISO is better, since there isn't much light to work with in the first place.
My tripod is a Manfrotto 358-B with an RC4 ball head. Pretty solid (but expensive). Wired remote, 2 sec MLU. It was actually an accident as I wanted to do about a 10 minute exposure (to get Real star traces) and I failed to get the remote lock on before letting go of the button. Otherwise, exposed exactly as shown in the top bar in the info box. Oh, and about 3am long after the half full moon is out of sight ..

10-17-2010, 03:28 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote

Yes, Thank you Al, I'm very familiar with this and have been hunting a light hobbiest (translation > cheap) solution to a tracking mount.

As long as you aren't doing more than your camera and lens (i.e. no scope), go for a small, used mount. All telescope mounts have a weight rating on them that you can reference. If you are not extremely experienced in astronomy, go for one that automatically calibrates itself. It'll save you about 10-30 minutes of setup time. Meade made some good ones, but I liked the Celestron mounts best. It all depends on how much you want to spend.

The other thing you can do is simply take about a dozen pictures at 4-6 seconds and stack them. I believe most software is capable of adjusting for the drift of the stars across the frame.

10-17-2010, 06:05 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
No, you aren't missing anything.. I just prefer to stay at the lower ISOs.

Thanks both for your comments, always appreciated that someone at least takes the time.

You can make your own tracking mount that works quite well. Do a google search for "Barndoor Tracking Mount" It's basically two pieces of wood hinged together with a threaded screw that is turned to compensate for Earth's movement. It will mount easily onto a photo tripod. Although I haven't made one, I've seen them in action. They work great for short wide angle exposures. Can be made for around 10-20 bucks!

Last edited by 9thumbs; 10-17-2010 at 06:10 PM.
10-17-2010, 07:17 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by opiet70 Quote
As long as you aren't doing more than your camera and lens (i.e. no scope), go for a small, used mount. All telescope mounts have a weight rating on them that you can reference. If you are not extremely experienced in astronomy, go for one that automatically calibrates itself. It'll save you about 10-30 minutes of setup time. Meade made some good ones, but I liked the Celestron mounts best. It all depends on how much you want to spend.
Part of my problem with this is I don't know what I'm looking at. I know I don't want to spend the $1k+ that I've seen some tracking units listed at. If I'm way off, I'm listening to suggestions.

QuoteOriginally posted by 9thumbs Quote
You can make your own tracking mount that works quite well. Do a google search for "Barndoor Tracking Mount" It's basically two pieces of wood hinged together with a threaded screw that is turned to compensate for Earth's movement. It will mount easily onto a photo tripod. Although I haven't made one, I've seen them in action. They work great for short wide angle exposures. Can be made for around 10-20 bucks!
Actually, I can probably do it for free being a building contractor. I Thought I had seen something like that before, just lost track of it.

Either way, that K28 f2.0 just purchased ought to make some pretty sweet images!