Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Ghost of the Narrow Gauge
Lens: Sigma 17-70 Camera: Pentax K10D Photo Location: Utah Junction (Denver) Colorado ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/350s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: Mark Castleman, 10-16-2010, 01:51 PM

Possibly the last remnant of the Colorado & Southern's 3-rail network in Denver. C&S removed its last narrow gauge tracks in 1943 but this grade crossing in Adams county remains near the Koppers plant probably because it was too much of an expense to remove the third rail. While I realize that many will see crumbling industrial infrastructure in this image as a rail enthusiast I find this a very poignant image of an all-but-vanished part of our transportation heritage.

The image was converted to monochrome and a red filter was applied in Aperture.

Views: 1,826
10-16-2010, 02:06 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I thought there was still a tourist run of the Denver & Rio Grand still in operation.
10-16-2010, 02:55 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
While I realize that many will see crumbling industrial infrastructure in this image as a rail enthusiast I find this a very poignant image of an all-but-vanished part of our transportation heritage.
My sentiments toward another transportation system - Route 66.

Nice shot.
10-16-2010, 05:44 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
I thought there was still a tourist run of the Denver & Rio Grand still in operation.
There are still two segments of the D&RG narrow gauge running; the Durango and Silverton and the Cumbres & Toltec. Neither of those lines is connected to anything else anymore.

This 30 feet of track is all that is left of the 3-rail tracks that allowed for standard and narrow gauge operations all around Denver. I read once that early in the 1900's there were several hundred miles of 3-rail, including 5 sets of track at Union Station.